Default first cut-out, bee tree

Well, went today to do my first cut-out on a bee tree. When we arrived, there were a lot of bees going in a crack in a tree that extended about 6'. I made a Robo type bee vac. It worked great. There was a lot of brood, and I wasn't able to save it all. I did get 5 frames full of brood. It was pretty awesome, we watched some bees hatch out. I cut a lot of brood I wasn't intending to, but it happened. The bee vac was absolutely crammed full of bees. I put the brood and more empty frames in a second box and put that above them. I did the screened shim so they are on the brood now. I don't know yet how many bees I killed. I'm going to leave them closed up until early tomorrow morning, then I'll open it up for them to get out. I won't piddle in the boxes for at least a week....... or so I tell myself.

I didn't see the queen, I think i got her though because when we were done and I slid the vacuum top off, there were bees that were trying to get into the box through the screen. I probably missed 100 or so bees, there were a lot of cracks and spaces in the tree that I was unable to get the vac tip in. Overall a good experience.

oh, I did see several hive beetles. Do I need to do anything special because of them? I'm going to get some traps, but didn't know if there was anything else to do. Also, the honey is in a bucket, but there are quite a few bees in with it. How do I get them out before I crush and strain it? Or just leave them in.... I don't want to leave the bucket uncovered for long cause they will probably rob it.

I had a friend go with me and he took some pics. I have to get them from him and when I do, I'll update this with them, in the meantime, here are some pics I took.

What we saw when we arrived

This was the finished cavity

As you can see, I missed some comb, but it was almost impossible to get it all. Or maybe my technique sucks, but either way.......

Thanks for looking
    Josh

Default Re: first cut-out, bee tree

Here are some of the other pics.

This was when we first opened the tree

using the bee vac

This was the finished cavity.

I spent a couple hours last night picking bees from the honey comb. Needless to say, I'm going to make sure that I get all the bees off next time. We got about 11 pounds of honey from it. My wife isn't sure she likes the taste of it though. She says that it has a tang to it. It's really dark also.

Anyway, thanks for looking

I'd personally recommend spraying the remaining comb with a mixture of Tea Tree Oil & Almond Oil (or pruning sealant) on all that remaining comb...coat it thoroughly or it'll make that tree into a very effective swarm trap.

Great pics. Nice work!
    "Mmmmm...... I love the smell of Foundation in the morning."