Default New Queen Questions

A swarm takes the old queen with them for a new location.

The virgin queen hatches after old queen is gone and stays around for a few days/week before her mating flight. Right?

Does the new virgin kill the other swarm cells before her flight?

Does she let them hatch so there are a few virgins running around and swarm again?

How long is the mating flight? Would the virgin ever spend a night out of the hive? (if I need to move a hive with a virgin in it anything to consider?)

Default Re: New Queen Questions

The primary swarm take the old queen, sometimes a colony with issue after-swarms all containing virgin queens, these tend to be much smaller that the primary swarm. Usually the newly hatched queens first business is to dispatch the other queens although clearly this does not always happen. She will then take multiple mating flights and as far as I know she does not stay out overnight. Move like any other hive, close it up after dark and move it where you want. Precautions must be made if you step outside the two mile or two feet rule.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    Usually the newly hatched queens first business is to dispatch the other queens
    By doing this doesn't she put the whole hive at risk? She kills all other chances for the hive to requeen if anything happens to her on her mating flight.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    She will then take multiple mating flights
    How many time does she leave the hive to mate? How long each flight?

>Precautions must be made if you step outside the two mile or two feet rule.
    I alraedy have a plan for this, the weaker split will pick get any foragers that return.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    By doing this doesn't she put the whole hive at risk? She kills all other chances for the hive to requeen if anything happens to her on her mating flight.
    Doesn't matter, that is the way they are made, it is their nature.

How many times and for how long.....different for every queen/situation. There may be an average but I have no idea what that is. Sorry but living things just don't fit neatly into a box or formula
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries