Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    nice job! Looks like a clean removal with minimal repairs needed.
    And to be honest, the owner agreed to take care of any repairs. I know some of you do drywall, etc, repair, but MAN that's asking a bee expert to wear a lot of hats. I hope you all are getting paid well to do the repairs as well.

    Thanks, DLMKA !

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calhoun Co, Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Looks pretty good...glad I had faith in your powers of observation too...since I WON!!!

    BTW, I designed a bee-vac that can hold top bars/frames and function as a (temporary) hive...so I can drop the cut-out combs back into the vac with the bees...then not have to be in any particular hurry to re-hive them
    P.M. or email me if you want designs.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Thanks for the plans you sent, robherc. Much appreciated.

    By the way, as my new cut-out hive stands, There is plenty of activity going in-and-out - I even saw a forager with pollen on her legs coming in this evening.

    But I am assuming the other portion of the hive is still acting in a swarm-mode because they are still balled-up around (I'm praying) the queen in a top corner.

    From what I understand, comb should start emerging from within that ball within the next couple of weeks.

    Is there any other reason they'd be balled-up in a top corner like that? We did but a couple of drops of lemongrass oil in that hive during the cut-out, but I doubt they'd be balled-up around just that scent area, right?

    I have a queen, don't I?

    Please tell me I have a queen and my hive is going to make it.

    Are there any support groups for coping with failed post-cut-outs?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR, USA
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    If there is a support group, please send me the details...I need it after the cutout we did last week.
    Trying very hard not to kill the bees faster than they can reproduce.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nmace View Post
    If there is a support group, please send me the details...I need it after the cutout we did last week.
    lol.

    Do you have a link to any details? ....or can you post the details here? Would love to hear about it.

    It doesn't have anything to do with THIS thread, does it?

    (yikes, this is pretty scathing)

    Bee Removal is not for IDIOTS

    By the way, your signature line at the bottom is hilarious.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Oh and another thing I forgot to mention about my cut-out bees is they seem disinterested in honey at this point. I realize they are in a stressful transitional period, but geez.

    They ARE drinking water, however.

    As seen in the video, I placed the honey/water in a small bowl with sticks behind the follower-board (that has a hole in it for them to pass through). I haven't seen any bees consuming it nor has the level gone down.

    As an experiment, thinking that perhaps they just didn't think to crawl through that hole, I placed a small splash of honey on the entrance ramp towards the evening time. I sat there for about 10 minutes and didn't see any takers.

    Could this be because maybe they gorged on honey when we did the cut-out? But they didn't even really have any honey.

    My guess is that it's just a stressful transition period. But they seem chill now and have seemed that way the entire operation. We didn't get head-butted even once during all of that. It seemed like they almost welcomed our arrival. They are definitely a sweet set of bees. I hope they survive with that queen. But hey, I guess sweet bees don't necessarily equal strong survival genes.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calhoun Co, Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    Thanks for the plans you sent, robherc. Much appreciated.
    You're quite welcome, just be sure to send me any ideas you may have for improving it...I'm always looking to improve on a good thing


    Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek
    But I am assuming the other portion of the hive is still acting in a swarm-mode because they are still balled-up around (I'm praying) the queen in a top corner.

    From what I understand, comb should start emerging from within that ball within the next couple of weeks.
    There's already comb being built in that ball...they usually start within hours!
    As far as "swarm mode" or why they're in that ball...it's called "festooning" look it up in the new Glossary that Barry's asking us to all donate photos for & you'll see a pic of about 40-50 of my girls festooning off a comb guide Festooning is how they build the combs.


    Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek
    I have a queen, don't I?

    Please tell me I have a queen and my hive is going to make it.

    Are there any support groups for coping with failed post-cut-outs?
    You might, and you might not...either way, if you spliced in a good amount of brood comb, it doesn't really matter. They can make a new queen for themselves as long as there's one single (fertilized) egg, or appropriately aged larva, in the hive! (makes 'em fairly resilient that way)
    As far as support groups go, I think the worst thing to do is give them more brood comb than they can cover...I lost the first several hives I got from cut-outs because I spliced in more comb than I had bees for (before I started using my vac), then the SHB and WM moved in, not to mention the RIFA...and the bees either died off, or absconded. Now I keep more bees alive with my vac, and I make sure to not splice in too much comb for the # of bees I got...painful lesson, but well learned!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Thanks, robherc.

    Yes, Ive heard of festooning, but I always thought of that term meaning when they make that chain to measure-out and/or draw-out comb.......but I'm a newb, so I appreciate that info.

    And as far as adding more brood comb with eggs so they can raise a queen, .............wellllllllll......this is my first and only hive. Hopefully - if the queen isn't there - they already had some eggs to work with. I haven't studied the comb in detail because I want to leave them alone and let them do their thing. My pal Robert who accompanied me on this cut-out recommended that if no brood comb starts emerging after about 2-3 weeks, then just get a new queen.

    And point well taken on handing a hive too much brood. If they can't handle the chore, I can see how predators can move in and wreak havoc. You can have too much of a good thing, obviously, in that case.

    But one more point about that ball-of-bees you say are festooning (and I'll leave this alone because I realize this is a cut-out thread) - that ball has been there ever since we were doing the cut-out. That's why I'm hopeful the queen is in there.

    Thanks everyone.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chesnee,S.C.
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    And to be honest, the owner agreed to take care of any repairs. I know some of you do drywall, etc, repair, but MAN that's asking a bee expert to wear a lot of hats. I hope you all are getting paid well to do the repairs as well.

    Thanks, DLMKA !
    looks like ya'll did a good job & its good experience. i do repairs because i'm a licensed & bonded builder. i carry general liability & workers comp. insurance & that makes jobs more costly. i have 2 bee vacs. one i built from beesource plans, its like a box in a box. the other i built from Robo's plans. i like Robo's the best. your bees wil probably do good, but somtimes they will die out or just leave. i usually put a frame of brood with eggs in just in case something happens to the queen. i caught a huge swarm(about 6 gallons of bees) 2 weeks ago & they left a 2 days later. they was building comb & appeared to be settled in. that is a nice video. have a good day.
    wishbone

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Thanks, Wishbone.

    Regarding the post-problems I'm having with larvae, I moved that party to the following thread I just started so as to not get too off-topic in this thread:

    Do I disturb the comb-building to kill these last two wax moth larvae? (photo)

    So basically, real quick, I went in today and found the larvae had exploded in the comb I tried to salvage. I did a complete house-cleaning (so I thought) and threw away all the existing comb. There are two larvae left where they are building comb right smack up against the follower board.

    Here's a photo, but the discussion for that aspect is over there now:


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Peoria, IL
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    And to be honest, the owner agreed to take care of any repairs. I know some of you do drywall, etc, repair, but MAN that's asking a bee expert to wear a lot of hats. I hope you all are getting paid well to do the repairs as well.

    Thanks, DLMKA !
    I've not done any cutouts but hoping to do my first this weekend. I'm not planning on doing any repairs other than sealing up the enterance to keep returning foragers from getting back in.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    .

    Folks, I took some decisive action today.

    The following photos speak for themselves:







    Ahhhhh, look how beautiful - gettin' busy, building their own comb, wax-moth-larvae-free:




  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    .

    I must apologize because the initial pictures I showed at the beginning of the whole thread didn't tell the whole story of the wall that the bees were in. It was an honest mistake on my part.

    The photos didn't show how much the dormer window wall extended outward from the exterior wall.

    Here is a more telling photo:




    So therefore, due to my lack-of-experience with surveying a site, I kinda misled some of you as far as how the house and wall are constructed.

    Sorry about that.

    You all didn't have the big picture (no pun intended).

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Posts
    827

    Default Re: Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

    I also snapped a bunch of photos of the event.

    Here are some that I thought might be of interest:

    Room ready to go:




    Trying to get an exact location. This was to the right of the stud and the insulation was in the way anyhow:



    The first cut we made missed to the right of the stud and hive......no biggie though:




    Comb riddled with wax moth larvae - all was trashed a few days later:




    A couple of shots of the bees in the wall after most of the comb was removed:






    They had some queen cups being built. Were they blaming the old queen for the infestation?....or perhaps running out of space?




    Here are a couple of photos of bees gathering at the soffit after the removal was winding-down. Robert had placed silicone in the bee access areas. Robert says - in his experience - that the bees eat through caulk but stay away from silicone.





Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads