Default First trap out but will it work?

Fun process trying....

Reported swarm went into a giant sycamore tree 24 hours prior. Tree has a small entrance and last night I could see the bees in a ball, more coming home. No way to know if the tree inside is hollow with plenty of room ....owner doesn't know. So I did the trap out of sealing it up with an entrance tube into a box and an entrance on the other end of the box so they can forage. Problem is I am new at all this and have no old comb or brood frame to put in the box so just used empty frames, LGO and a bit of pollen bar. Homeowner is willing to keep it there for however log it may take...

Anything else I can do to draw the queen and hive out except hope they build up in the box?

Bees are swarming all over the place here; I have two swarm traps in the woods but they are not catching anything so far....

Default Re: First trap out but will it work?

very doubtful you can make them move in without brood. Buy a frame of brood from another keeper, the going rate is 20 to 25 for deep frames. Or you could buy a queen, steel lots of workers by using a cone entrance, and put them in a box and let them uncage the queen, let her raise some brood, and then go back with brood and get the rest of that colony.
    Affordable bee equipment supplier. www.carmacksupply.com

I could steal a frame of brood from my hive too but not until Sat. and kind of hate to do it. The lady doesn't want the bees in her tree and will plug the hole once I'm done. I was hoping they would move into what would be perceived as a superior chamber since they've only been in the tree 24 hours. But by Sat. they could be very well established I suppose. I have to work so I'll find out tonight if they are going thru the chamber or found another way to exit the tree. thanks!

That was a big fail. Bees found another hole to get out of. Not sure if I should try with a bee vac and one of my own frames of brood or what I should do. I'm going to steal a frame tomorrow and redo the trap...worst comes to worst I can trap out all the bees with a funnel but then it leaves the queen inside. Any suggestions? Please?

BeeGo, BeeQuick, or a mixture of Tea Tree Oil, Almond Oil, and Jojoba Oil misted in thru the other hole they found...give the bees a bit of motivation to evacuate the tree cavity.
    I'd put a cone type trap (closed box, only opening has funnel cone in it) on the tree, try to close up all but the cone entrance & the hole I was putting repellent in through; put in some repellent, tack some screen over that hole, then get to work making LOTS of noise inside that tree...beat the tree with fallen limbs, or hammers, or something. Between the fumes & the noise/vibration hopefully the bees won't be able to stand another second of it, and abscond into your waiting trap box.

BTW, an effective "drumming" tool for making TONS of noise inside a tree is a chainsaw. If you don't want to damage the tree, just hold the bottom of the "motor" box against the tree & rev it up with the blade spinning out in the air...the tree will vibrate worse than if you were cutting it down; sure to elicit a fairly extreme response, so be 100% sure the ONLY way they can get out of the tree is into your closed box!