Default CCD triggered not just by pesticides, but also by GMO high-fructose corn syrup

Here's a brand new article from Natural News dot com:

Colony Collapse Disorder in bees triggered not just by pesticides, but also by GMO high-fructose corn syrup

Thursday, April 19, 2012 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer

(NaturalNews) Studies linking neonicotinoid pesticides to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), a condition in which entire bee colonies suddenly disappear or die, have been gaining national attention in recent months as they continue to flood scientific journals. But one area that has been largely overlooked is the role high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) plays in killing off bees, as the vast majority of it comes from genetically-modified (GM), pesticide treated corn crops.

Chensheng Lu, Kenneth M. Warchol, and Richard A. Callahan from the Department of Environmental Health at the Harvard School of Public Health examined the effects of imidacloprid, a neonicotinoid pesticide, on bee colonies as part of a recent review. Part of this research involved using HFCS that had been derived from corn crops treated with imidacloprid, for which the pesticide ended up getting into the end product.

For their study, the team created four honey bee sites with five honey bee hives each, for a total of 20 hives, with each site containing four imidacloprid hives and a control hive. Among the 16 hives treated with imidacloprid, varying amounts of the pesticide were used in order to gain a proper assessment of how, and at what levels, it affects bees.

In the end, the team discovered that the vast majority -- 94 percent -- of hives treated with imidacloprid ended up dying off as a result of what appeared to be CCD, even when very minute levels of the pesticide were added. And a key culprit in this die-off was imidacloprid-tainted HFCS, which served as the delivery system for this toxic chemical.

"Data from this in situ study provide convincing evidence that exposure to sub-lethal levels of imidacloprid in HFCS causes honey bees to exhibit symptoms consistent to CCD 23 weeks post imidacloprid dosing," wrote the authors. "15 or 16 imidacloprid-treated hives (94%) were dead across four apiaries 23 weeks post imidacloprid dosing."

You can review the study for yourself at:
    http://www.bouldercountybeekeepers.org

Most commercial honey comes from bees fed chemical-laden HFCS

HFCS is commonly fed to many commercial bees today, which is why more than 75 percent of the so-called "honey" sold on store shelves is nothing more than HFCS (http://www.naturalnews.com/034102_ho...mer_alert.html). And since the GM corn crops from which the vast majority of HFCS is derived have been treated with imidacloprid and other pesticides, it is hardly surprising that these chemicals end up in commercial bee feed.

France actually banned the use of imidacloprid on sunflowers and sweet corn back in 1999 and 2003, respectively, after more than one third of its bees died (http://www.guardian.co.uk). And yet the pesticide continues to be used in the U.S., despite the fact that it was never even lawfully approved for use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Sources for this article include:

http://www.bouldercountybeekeepers.org

http://www.humanespot.org

Default Re: CCD triggered not just by pesticides, but also by GMO high-fructose corn syrup

On a related note, here's another brand new article:

Blamed for Bee Collapse, Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research Firm

Default Re: CCD triggered not just by pesticides, but also by GMO high-fructose corn syrup

The Harvard study has been discussed to death here and on Bee-L already and anyone who has taken the time to read it can see immediately that it is hopelessly flawed. Imidacloprid is used on only half of one percent of US corn and the dosage administered in the study were massively higher than field realistic level.
    The Monsanto purchase of Beelogics is old news from last September.
    These are two poorly written articles riddled with inaccuracy and conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
    The Harvard study has been discussed to death here and on Bee-L already and anyone who has taken the time to read it can see immediately that it is hopelessly flawed. Imidacloprid is used on only half of one percent of US corn and the dosage administered in the study were massively higher than field realistic level.
    The study seems statistically weak and very short term: "Over a 23-week period, they monitored bees in four different bee yards; each yard had four hives treated with different levels of imidacloprid and one control hive." And it would seem that in linking imidacloprid to corn, they have made a serious mistake since it is used on citrus, coffee, cotton, fruits, grapes, potatoes, rice, soybeans, sugarcane, tobacco and vegetables. According to Bayer, over the past 8 years, the annual percentage of total corn acres in the U.S. treated with imidacloprid has been less than half a percent. If they were looking for a corn link, they should have looked at clothianidin. Clothianidin and imidacloprid are related though: they are members of a class of insecticides know as neonicotinoids which affect the central nervous system of insects.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post

On a related note, here's another brand new article:

Blamed for Bee Collapse, Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research Firm

There are at least two possible reasons for this aquisition
    1) They want to use their new ownership co-opt or suppress a dissident voice.
    2) They want to rapidly acquire expertise in an area they may be weak in.

the article seems to assume the first without even an argument. Since we can now assume that they are aprt of the research efforts of a private for-profit corporation it is safe to assume that any future results stand a high probability of being proprietary and not disclosed. It may be difficult to determine which reason was their motivating factor. We will need to watch to see what they do with it. I see no justification for assuming the worst.

Pat: Well at least it's on the treatment free forum but pretty sure even the most dedicated treatment free advocate realizes how laughable pretty much everything in the op is. But "75% of the honey sold is nothing more than HFCS" ????? There's your sign to tune out folks.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I just tuned in, and now I have to tune out.
    Regards, Barry

I don't think anyone can put a reliable percentage on it, but there is no doubt in my mind that when money is involved, there are some people out there that can't resist cheating. Whether is be a producer or packer, I know it has happened where honey has been cut with HFCS, but lets not let the word get out to the average consumer, and when a consumer brings it up lets just blow it off as poor and inaccurate journalism. Sorry for getting off topic a bit. John

I can't prove it, but I'm willing to bet it's even far worse than the studies show and the articles portrayed.

I'm not here to make enemies because I respect all of your knowledge, but we have hardcore criminals in charge of government and major corporations at this point.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse and argue about it all, but the situation is dire on so many levels - not just bees and CCD.

Again, please don't take my opinion as being antagonistic toward anyone here. We're all on the same team and want the same stuff.

I take everything I read on Natural News with a grain of salt. Too much fear-mongering and propoganda to be taken serious.

Weak studies plus weak assumptions equals false conclusions and alarmist rhetoric. "75% of all honey is hfcs?" really? who did the testing, and where is the proof?
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Most packers test for HFCS don't they?

If CCD is caused by HFCS how do these dead and dying colonies produce 75% of the honey on store shelves?