Question 4-way pallets and drifting?

Hi everyone,
    I recently moved all my colonies onto 4- way pallets I built (they were never on pallets before, as I used reg bottom boards previously).
    When I moved them to a holding yard, I had to place them fairly close together b/c this is in a rancher friends yard and they had farm equip. parked in the same area which they were going to move before I arrived but it did not happen. Anyway every time I go and fill up bee feeders and check on the bees I notice that some colonies seem to be getting weaker and I have even lost a few with our cold nights. Then some of the other colonies are getting strong, like real strong too fast for what brood they had????
    So I was wondering if they are not doing some serious drifting over to the stronger colonies that look more promising with fresh nectar/pollen/and robust strong laying queens? ( I know they do some drifting but this seems like a lot)
    Has anybody else had similar observations with there bees on pallets?
    Thanks! Mtn. Bee
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: 4-way pallets and drifting?

Anytime you move bees some drifting is normal pallets or no pallets. Weak hives should never keep getting weaker, though. If they are queen right and look otherwise normal then I might consider doing some switching into the strong spots.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Of you have them in a long row they will drift to the end pallets. You kind want to spread them out at different angles ,it helps allot.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

I keep my hives in long rows in yards of 36 two hive pallets. I do not find any trouble with drifting, but I dont move my hives any more than 2 or 3 times in a season.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Anytime you move bees some drifting is normal pallets or no pallets. Weak hives should never keep getting weaker, though. If they are queen right and look otherwise normal then I might consider doing some switching into the strong spots.
    Hi Jim,
    The weaker hives are my mid year nucs from last season that never got to build up real strong before our winter season arrived (bad honey year)! I have been robbing a frame or two of brood from the strong colonies and giving it to the weak overwintered nucs to try to give them a boost!
    Our weather has really been back and forth between 1 nice day to 4 days of rain and cold night time temps have been in 30's and 40's. Things are just starting to bloom so I am keeping my fingers crossed, at least we predicted for some hot temps coming in this weekend even at night!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook