Thread: 1st cutout

Default 1st cutout

I will be doing my first cut out Sat. It is in a kids play house in the wal and celling. Opening it up will be easy. They have been there about one yr. They swarmed 3 wks ago. Will i find a queen or might the new queen be out maiting? Should i try to cut out the cone and mt. it in a frame or just vac. the bees? If the queen is not there hpw long do i have to requeen them?

Default Re: 1st cutout

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBee View Post
    I will be doing my first cut out Sat. It is in a kids play house in the wal and celling. Opening it up will be easy. They have been there about one yr. They swarmed 3 wks ago. Will i find a queen or might the new queen be out maiting? Should i try to cut out the cone and mt. it in a frame or just vac. the bees? If the queen is not there hpw long do i have to requeen them?
    I would invest the time it takes to find her majesty and catch her in a hairclip-style queen catcher. Have you watched any of the videos on youtube by "jpthebeeman"? -james

Default Re: 1st cutout

Do the best you can to remove the bees with their comb and band it into empty frames. Take your time and look for the queen as you go. Set your new equipment close to the cutout and watch how the bees react. They will fan the queens scent to attract the bees to their new location. If you can leave the new setup there and go back and check it for a couple days. I like doing that because the workers will go back and clean up all the honey left from the cutout at the old location. Even if you do relocate the queen she may not start to lay again for a week or more. Be patiend and let them settle in to the new residence. I usually leave mine undistured for at least a week. I don't like to use the vac unless its to pick up bees because I have to move them right away. I never just start vacuuming up bees at the beginning but I know many others do. Bring a helper to assist you.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti