Default Dead Bee Removal

So after reading both sides of the argument for top entrance vs bottom entrance I have decided to go with a top entrance on my tbh. So that leaves me to wonder, how do they remove the dead bees from the hive if the only way in and out is at the top of the hive? Will they carry the carcasses up the wall and out? Mine has a screened bottom if it makes a difference.

Default Re: Dead Bee Removal

I have seen Michael Bush state that his bees routinely drag bees out of the top entrance. I wonder if you will have a larger pile of bees come spring, but I wouldn't stress about it. If you are really concerned you could always configure a small enough lower entrance for the undertaker bees to do their thing.

yesterday, i watched my bees carry out dead comrades from the top entrance. about a half dozen in 15 minutes. i had the same concern until i saw this.

That's good to know Schwinn! Still waiting to catch my first swarm, hoping it happens soon.

good luck!

The entire life-span of a honeybee is something like 30 days, and there are tens of thousands of 'em ... it's a routine occurrence.