Default Colony in Panel Box in the Ground

Here is my situation… I have a feral colony in a control panel, which is in the ground. The owner of the building wants me to remove the colony without harming the bees. By the amount of comb in the control panel, it appears the colony has been there for several years. The dimension of the control panel (approx. 30”L x17”W x 24” D) is such that I can fit a hive body into it, landing it on the rim of the control panel box and cover the remainder of the panel box with its top. I have an entrance in the upper part of the hive body, so that the foraging bees can fly in and out of it, and crawl down to their comb. They have started drawing comb on the plastic foundation from the hive body. I’m hoping (slight chance) that queen will move up into the hive body, but if she doesn’t I need other options. One option I was thinking about was use a hive body and set it up as a bait box with drawn brood comb and lemongrass oil, and place it some distance away. Then completely open the control panel, so that it is open to the environment and see if that will get them to move out the panel box and into the bait box. The temperatures here for April run - lows in the 40’s and highs range from 70’s-80’s. I hoping that the temperature range won't kill them and was hoping that the with the box open to the environment, it will make them too uncomfortable and want to move into the bait box.

Thoughts?

Other ideas?

Thanks,
    Greg

Default Re: Colony in Panel Box in the Ground

The bees are about as likely to move into your bait box as you are to win the lottery. You will have to do a cutout.

I don't pretend to know anything. Could you use a variation of the Hogan trap method ?

Is this a live electric panel? John

OD - I did win $37.50 on the last Mega Millions lottery, so you must be saying I have a chance!!

jmgi - No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXVyS...eature=related

may want to try something like that.

Give a couple of weeks and see if she will come up. If not, put a frame of brood in there and she should move up a day or so after and check it out. If she does, move the box away from the panel and they should follow her.