Question Something's happening here?

I am a new beek. Got my 8 frame, 2 med hive with SSB and migratory cover at bee school the same day I got my pkg bees with a clipped, marked queen. Installed them march 25. Feeding with boardman feeder everyday since.

Bees accepted very pretty queen but built weird burr comb which I removed and they sulkily began drawing out the foundation. Queen has laid 2 frames full of capped brood, the bees have furiously brought in pollen of every color, then the field behind me which was covered in dandelions was mowed.

I can't tell if they are bringing in nectar or storing the sugar water, but every time the feeder is empty they act like they are ravenous.

Today I inspected the hive and see the queen and feel everything is ok, then I hear piping; but I happen to be looking right at my queen and it's not coming from her. I observe her more closely and she seems to be listlessly walking across the capped brood not really doing anything. No attendants seem to be following, and a couple of bees seemed to "shoulder bump" her. She never answered the piping.

I saw what could have been a supercedure cell on a frame 2 frames over from the broodnest. I have not put on the second hive body because they have 3 frames practically empty and undrawn. Should I put on the second hive body?

I have no other wooden ware, but could order another bottom board and cover to make a new hive if need be.

HELP! Thanks for your input and help. beesinger

Default Re: Something's happening here?

It is not unusual for package bees to supercede a queen. If you hear piping you don't have much time to decide to either let the bees sort it out or start another hive with the queen cell. Depends if you want more hives.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Singer,

It sounds like everything is going fine. Your bees may not think the queen is as pretty as you do though. They may be superceding her. If they are you don't want to stop them. Nor do you want to split the hive this early. The rule, at least in my area, is that you don't split a hive during its first year.

When they get another frame drawn I would add the extra box.

Also, before the nectar stops flowing you should find another way to feed the bees besides the boardman feeder. That kind of feeder is an invitation to robbing by other competing hives in the area. My preference is a hive top feeder.

It sounds like everything is going fine. Just keep an eye on the comb they are drawing and add that extra hive body when they get six frames drawn.

dont forget u can use a gallon ziplock bag as a feeder, just lay it on top of frames and cut a slit in it about an inch or so but then you will need your empty med or u can build a spacer for now,but i would definately move that feed ,you won't have to feed as often if u feed a gallon at a time.also if your using all mediums aren;t u going to need atleast 3 per hive.

Here's a picture of a "spacer" or "rim" as mrqb mentioned above. Simple to make. With weekly checks there's really not a problem with burr comb. This particular feeding rim is for a 5-frame nuc, it is old and that little square piece of wood is simply a repair... Ed

Thanks for your help, I got called in to work for 2.5 days and just got back to check on the hive and get a chance to respond to your kind posts.

I guess things are okay, don't hear any more piping. My marked queen is there, she looks fine. I didn't really get a chance to look at the hive very closely since it's started to rain while I had the hive open. The bees were kind of (okay, very) grumpy. Noticed new bees are starting to hatch out. Once I saw the queen I closed up the hive and got out of there.

Will have to decide what to do about the feeder. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate the support so much!!

Beesinger