Default Inner cover entrance size. Too big?

My inner cover did not have a notch in it when I purchased it. I decided that I could notch one in on my own. Upon completion, the notched size seemed okay, but now that it is on the hive, it looks quite large (approx. 2" wide by 5/8" tall). I had the notch plugged with grass as I waited three days after my package intallation to let them settle in, so the bees have not been able to use it yet for me to see how they react to it. Is this size notch too large? My concern is that it may be too large for a new colony to guard, or rain, cold or wind might get in more easily. I was planning on taking some silicone sealant and filling it in a little bit to reduce to size opening. Some of us newbees worry a lot about doing everything "just right." Thanks for the suggestions.

Default Re: Inner cover entrance size. Too big?

Staple a piece of window screen over the hole, or you can use duct tape. I always have duct tape, window screen, and a staple gun in my tool bucket.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/100_0280.jpg

Juzzerbee,
    Two inches does seem wide, but the height is about right. Next time you make an opening try one inch wide. With the top cover on the inner cover, I would not so much worry about wind and rain. However if you are worried about having enough bees to defend (which I wouldn't because it will be defended), turn the inner cover upside down so that they can not use it, or have to defend it. I would not use any chemicals (sealant) to reduce it (a really bad idea). Eventually it will be propolised anyway to the bees specs. In the winter I have seen one of my hives totally seal the opening in the inner cover, then go back and chew through the propolis and leave an entrance large enough for them to get in and out of. Let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out.

Thanks!!! That is great advice from both of you. I considered the sealant a bad idea as well, but didn't know what else would work. The simple screen seems like a simple and brilliant idea. I will just staple screen over it until I have a 1" by 5/8" opening(is that the ideal size you think). I am a very happy bee boy now! Thanks for the picture as well, that helped too. I am glad to have found this site and all the helpful people, now I can quit bothering the local suppliers in my area with all my questions.