Default Just Checking to bee sure

I Checked my two hives today. These were started from packages on 4/14. The queens are released. There is new comb being drawn out. I have been feeding 1:1 and have a pollen patty top of the frames. All i could see while I was inspecting was drawn comb..nectar...and pollen. Should I have seen eggs or would it be too early?
    Last edited by theracenut; 04-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: Just Checking to bee sure

Still a bit early. Try not to check them again for another week. Then you should see eggs.

How long should I leave the entrance reducer in? It is at its smallest setting right now.

would give them another week should be able to see some eggs or larva by that time. eggs can be very hard to see on new white comb.

you will probably be using a reducer for awhile i never use the smallest opening in the reducer but you should be ok probably for about 30 days if you see to much traffic going and coming you may want to flip it to the larger reducer size.

I would recommend opening the reducer up to the larger size. Put in a package last week and they need a little more room to move. I have plenty of time so during very nice days I'll pop them completly open for a few hours. Only do it when i'm sure they are well settled. Try to stop from opening the hive too much although it is hard at first. Give them a couple of weeks and they will suprise you,at least thats the experience with me so far. I have a couple more from last year and the one before.

I leave the reducer on with smallest setting till there is significant bucking for position at the front door. When I see that, I figure their efforts are being thwarted and they are probably strong enough to protect the next wider opening.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

If you can't find eggs by 4/28 I would get worried.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF