Hybrid View

Default When should I check on the Queen when bad weather is forecasted?

I hived my first ever 3lb. packages (2 hives) of bees into their hives 2 days ago(Saturday). It is now Monday and I was told that I should check to see if the queens have been released from their cage after 5 days from installation. That would make the observation day to be Thursday. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week are forecasted to be cloudy, t-storms possible, rain likely, cold out(low to middle 50's), and I can assume it will be somewhat windy here in southern Wisconsin. The weekend outlook is "suppose" to be better weather. My question is, should I check on the queens during this, "less than ideal" inspection weather or wait a full 7 days before checking if the queens have been released from their cage as well as inspecting the progress of the hive? Is it too early on Wednesday to check on them if the temperature happens to be in the 60's and it is just overcast?

Also, is it okay if I poked 30 pinhole size holes in the lid of a plastic peanut container to use as my syrup feeder that will be placed face down over the inner cover? I am concerned that I may have too many small holes in the lid. A vacuum seems to be present when placed on the cover, but I am still a bit nervous if a lid can have too many holes in it causing excess syrup to drip. Thanks.
    Last edited by juzzerbee; 04-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: When should I check on the Queen when bad weather is forecasted?

I would check the queens on wednesday. Our local beekeepers here in michigan always told us to check on the queen within 3 days, which would fall on wednesday for you. Besides, opening a hive in cloudy storm brewing weather is stressful on the bees, and can lead to stinging and other bad behavior. If the queens are still caged, let them out, but don't poke around the frames too much. Your first inspection after hiving a package should just be for queen release. Check again next wednesday or so for larvae, and if you see that, you know you're good to go.

Also, with your jar feeder, if you can fill it up with water and not have it run right out when tipped upside down, you're probably ok. Gravity and the bees will draw the water out of the jar. You just don't want the holes large enough to let it drip out on its own. It's not the number of holes that cause it to drip but the size. Lots of holes just means lots of bees can drink at once

You'll often have less-than-ideal conditions to deal with. For just a quick check to see if the queen has been released, I wouldn't wait. Like GeeBee, I've always checked at 2-3 days. When you're doing a full, frame-by-frame inspection, then it makes more sense to defer to the weather.

Ditto on the holes. It's not a matter of too many, it's size. If it doesn't drip when turned upside down, you're good to go.

Thanks all. Today went well. Both Queens were out and out checking out the foundation. Ran out of smoke in the last 5 minutes and got stung twice. Still a ton of fun.