Default Fogging with mineral oil to control mites

Has anyone tried fogging the hive with mineral oil to control mites and what were your results? I can understand how the fog can clog the mites respiration and them to slip off the bees. Also, the fine fog particles of oil should not block the bees breathing. I was wondering though what the fog does to the eggs and larvae. Thanks for any input you have. Jim

Default Re: Fogging with mineral oil to control mites

what I have read about the mineral oil treatment, the most effective was to put a line of it on top of every frame. The bees walk through it and then coat themselves with it which then kills the mites. But........ I am very inexperienced with beekeeping. This will be my first year. So I'm just restating what I read.......

The Fatbeeman uses it in this video. I've never tried it, but maybe others will chime in.

I have been wondering about this. I saw this video a while back and again just a few weeks ago and wondered if anyone has tried this and how effective is it. If nothing else I will email Fatbeeman and see if he still fogs for mites.

Other with long memories chime in - this has been much discussed on BeeSource.

Long and the short - fogging mineral oil to control mites doesn't work. Some would say it doesn't work very well.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I agree Andrew. Bob Brachman near Buffalo...Russian breeder...did a great experiment with fogged mineral oil. Didn't help control varroa.