Thread: Feeder Question

Default Feeder Question

I have very strong half-gal. plastic containers with screw lids that I want to use as feeders. I have only two hives, so thinking two per-feeder over the inner cover and a medium over it (fits). I know I will need to raise them up for the bees to get at the holes in the covers of both pails. How high should the shims be(pails raised) for the bees to get at the holes? If too high will they occupy the whole box?

Default Re: Feeder Question

For access you need to be about 3/8 of an inch which = bee space. This time of year they could very well build comb in the empty. Happened to me this year, ate 10 pounds of dry sugar and filled the entire cover super with fresh white drone comb.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.
    When I remove the empty to check the feeders, do I have to worry about the queen possibly being in there?

Well, I never say never with bees but it would be highly unusual if she was. A queen is fed by the workers...I have never heard of nor seen a queen feed directly from a feeder but then again.....never say never or always with bees. 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries