Default Really nice bees

When I installed my bees 10 days ago i put in 1gal baggie feeders with a 4 inch spacer to keep the lid off the baggies. Four of the ten hives decided that that 4 inches was the perfect spot to build all the comb.

This evening after work being the first day that the weather was not either raining or gale force winds for a while so I decided it was time to fix it. Between those four hives I cut out 18 pieces of comb that was 3 1/2" tall and 15 or so inches long. Probably 80% of all the bees in those hives were in that comb. I used only smoke and a ventilated jacket and received exactly ZERO stings.

There were many times i made newbie mistakes including droping comb and they just let me pick it up, brush them off it, and move on.

I also removed those spacers and gave those hives jar feeders so they wouldn't do it again. Was gonna burn them dang spacers but remembered they will come in handy for mountain camp feeding in the winter but no more baggies for me.

Default Re: Really nice bees

Wait til you pop the top cover off on a cloudy day when they have a couple supers full of honey. They won't be anywhere near as nice....

Only time I got stung last year was a cloudy, threatening rain type day, and I only wanted to see if I needed another super. Got stung twice before I got the inner cover off, and had to squash a large number of bees because they wouldn't leave the edge under the cover. Naturally, I didn't use any smoke and didn't have a veil on. Last time I did that!

Peter

This is a question/observation asked every year around this time. Most all weak hives are kittens, they are busy building up and do not have the resources for many guard bees etc. but like Peter said.....let me put it this way MANY new beeks will repost around june or july and say there bees have turned hot and mean and ask what happened. They got strong! So always fire up your smoker when you go to the bee yard. 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Yep, I don't care if the bees are so nice they come out and kiss me, I will always have the veil and smoker when working a hive.