Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Got my first swarm off ad

In my limited experience, it seems that there's a HUGE difference between eggs, and open brood. Brood that's even 1 hour past hatching seems to anchor a colony at least 5x better than eggs alone I think. That said, I've changed a LOT of things about how I move/tend my colonies since the last absconding, so I could be noticing the effects of other things as well.

robherc...Couldn't help but chuckle at one of your sentences. LOL "Brood that's even 1 hour past hatching seems to anchor a colony at least 5X better than eggs alone"...

Brood that is one hour past hatching is a one hour old bee.

cchoganjr

hatching, not emerging. brood that is one hour past hatching the egg is a barely visible larva in a shallow pool of RJ. ... unless bee eggs don't hatch? lol

Caught a swarm yesterday off a lilac bush out side an old house that casts swarms often. I thought it was too chilly ( hi 40's). Filled D10 overflowing. STOKED!!

I stapled a plastic queen excluder to a SBB to keep queen in, put in an entrance reducer. I screwed lathe strips on corners instead of straps to hold the D10 to SBB, & I made a screen telescopic cover.

Set box under branch w/swarm, quick gentle slam onto top of frames, set shim under screen top waited ten minutes home with nice swarm.

It took the bees a little while to go in b/c of QX. I plan to add another D10 today, & in a cpl days I will remove QX, hoping they will stay. I hate going 20 miles to get a swarm to lose them.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12