Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got my first swarm off ad

Got a call last night about 7:30. A pest guy had gotten a call about some bees and he had seen my ad in the local classifieds. He called me and gave me the number of the residence. The swarm had been there since Friday sometime and seeing that I had to work this morning, I went ahead and did it last night. It was my first swarm removal. It was about 6 ft off the ground on a tree trunk. It went pretty well considering I really didn't know what I was doing. Lol. I'm supposed to be getting my first 2 nucs tomorrow. I'll post a pic in a few. I'm pretty sure I got the queen. The homeowner didn't want a hive in the yard today so I had to bring it home with me. Anyway, hopefully it turns out fine. I did put a sheet beneath them and put it with the remaining bees in a bucket, secured it and took the stragglers that way.

Default Re: Got my first swarm off ad

Nice work! Let us know how they do.
    Did you charge for the removal or pay her to take them! lol

Congrats. That looks like a very large swarm, especially for your first one. Sometimes
    you can find the queen when you go back to brush the bees that have returned back to trees if you miss her in the first pass. Take a queen catching clip with you in case you see her. Looks like you made a days pay off that swarm!
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Alright, got home tonight and just had to look at the hive. This morning I put in two baggies of 2:1 sugar water in it. Put a medium super body on it, then the inner cover and outer cover. When I removed the cover this afternoon I noticed that there were a lot of bees on the side of the box. There are a lot of bees on the frames I think. I didn't remove any, but there were a lot more bees than you see here. Anyway, is this normal for them? Just wanting to make sure. Yea, I'm a newbie..... I'm sure I'll have lots more questions if y'all will put up with me. LOL anyway, they also didn't eat much of the syrup. I know that they sometimes don't if there is a flow on. Thanks in advance. oh, they were also very peaceful when I opened them up tonight. Didn't have any even act aggressively.

Josh
    Last edited by Tnmedic; 04-15-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add pics

A lot of times a newly hived swarm will "washboard" all over the outside of the box...or on an especially warm day a lot of bees will "beard" on the outside of the box to keep cool...and sometimes (like today) I find bees all over the outside of a box on a cool, windy day when there's nothing presumably wrong with the hive...they just felt like going for a "walk around the hive."
    As far as the bees on the frames; if you'd removed a frame you would have had a hard time re-inserting it without crushing the hundreds of bees that were likely clinging to it, and to each other, bridging the gap from one frame to the next; they get REALLY thick in there, especially when they don't have much comb drawn out yet. (almost every single comb picture you see has had at least *some/most* of the bees shaken off before the pic was snapped...or else you'd just see a mass of bees with a few cells of comb visible around the edges)
    Glad to hear they seemed peaceful enough; I usually take that to mean that the queen's inside, and her pheromones are keeping everybody happy

-Rob

Great job ! i am new as well and i can hardly wait until i get my nucs in may ! do you plan on making a bee vac ? for future swarm catching.

Ben

Don't leave an empty box above a newly caught swarm, they will build off the roof and ignore your frames.

Also, really not necessary to feed new swarms unless the weather turns bad on you; almost alway a flow going or they wouldn't have swarmed in the 1st place.

Know your new and it's exciting, but you should really try to stay out of the hive till they get some capped brood which will anchor them home or they may abscond on you for messing with them. For a primary swarm (which is what your's looked like) they should have brood in about a week. For secondary swarms (virgin queens), I leave them alone for 3 weeks.

Great job, congratulations.

well, I read your reply to late. I opened them up today. They were still very docile. Didn't smoke them, but I don't think that I really needed to. The first several frames that I pulled didn't have any comb on them and I was starting to get worried. But then I pulled this.

I pulled it out, brushed it off a little and took some pics. I didn't leave it out long. I just pulled it up and took pics then put it right back. Anyway, It's probably to early to see eggs, but I'm not sure I would know them if I did see them so...... Anyway, what are the brown cells? Pollen? Here are the pics

Also just an observation, I noticed that there were quite a few drones flying in and out while I was watching them. Anyway, thanks for your patience and help.

Josh

Another question. If I took the bag feeders off and put a top feeder on without the empty super above it, would more of them go to work making comb? It seems like a lot of them are hanging out on the inside sides of the empty super. They aren't making anything in the super, just wondering. Thanks in advance

I agree with everything D is saying. I usually cover them & don't open the box for 2 weeks, except to make sure the frames are tight together after transporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by D Semple View Post
    Don't leave an empty box above a newly caught swarm, they will build off the roof and ignore your frames.

Also, really not necessary to feed new swarms unless the weather turns bad on you; almost alway a flow going or they wouldn't have swarmed in the 1st place.

Know your new and it's exciting, but you should really try to stay out of the hive till they get some capped brood which will anchor them home or they may abscond on you for messing with them. For a primary swarm (which is what your's looked like) they should have brood in about a week. For secondary swarms (virgin queens), I leave them alone for 3 weeks.

Great job, congratulations.
    Dan

Beautiful new comb! The brown cells have pollen in them, and they're likely storing the syrup you're feeding them. Bees that swarm are full of honey they ate just before leaving their hive, and all that honey in their stomachs stimulates their wax-producing mechanism. Wait a couple weeks and there will be lots of nice comb full of eggs.
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

ok, I have read in a lot of places that you need to feed syrup to swarms to "jumpstart" their comb building. Is that not the case? I'd obviously love for them to build a ton of comb, but also don't want to harm them in any way or impair them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnmedic View Post
    ok, I have read in a lot of places that you need to feed syrup to swarms to "jumpstart" their comb building. Is that not the case? I'd obviously love for them to build a ton of comb, but also don't want to harm them in any way or impair them.
    I would ask somebody in your local club if your have a flow going and how long does your sprig flow generally last. If the flow is expected to quit in less than say a month, then Imo you should go ahead and start feeding, otherwise I'd let them fend for themselves.

Now go catch some more swarms before you mother this hive to death!

Don

Lol, I actually was just informed about a bee tree by someone's hunting spot today. I'm supposed to be going to look at it on Thursday. Got to research doing a trapout between now and then. Can't cut the tree down because of location, so I probably won't be able to get the brood or honey unless there is another way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnmedic View Post
    Got to research doing a trapout between now and then.
    PM Cleo C Hogan Jr ... he invented what seems to rapidly be becoming the most popular trapout method in use & he's always happy to share his design/method with anyone who asks

P.S. Maybe I should change my name to TXmedic? (I'm guessing you're a former 91/68 series too?)

Actually just got off the phone with the landowner and I can cut out a section of the tree to get the brood. And I'm just a paramedic, during my time I was 11b

tnmedic send me an e-mail. cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will send you the info for a trapout. You should be able to get the queen, plus get yourself two or three starts, then eliminate the colony if that is what he wants done.

I hadn't though of 11B in a long time. Retired in 78.

cchoganjr

Well, I went out today to inspect my hives and this hive was gone. I guess they absconded. There were a few bees left, but I guess they were robbers. I had been noticing that there were very few bees going in and out. I figured they were just weak. I did see the queen in there early this week, so I guess they left since then. They drew out 2 frames of comb. I did notice that there were eggs laid in quite a few of the cells. I put the frames of comb into my other hive so at least they can hopefully use it. Oh well, win some and lose some

Its unusual for them to leave after the queen starts laying, unless someone or something is bothering them too much.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast