Hybrid View

Default CB Again or Insert Empty Super

Central Maryland, NewBeek here. Second year hive. I Checkerboarded above the deep with 2 mediums in mid-march. Now the 2 mediums above are around 70% full. Think I should Checkerboard with a third medium and split up the third empty frames between the 3 med supers? OR just throw the empty med right above the bottom deep. Hoping to avoid swarm as they are busrting at the seams.

Default Re: CB Again or Insert Empty Super

Are you running a queen excluder over the deep? Is this the main flow of your season? Those factors would determine what I would do. If it is the main flow, I would check for cells to see if they are getting ready to swarm. If they weren't I would put the super on top and let them finish filling the first two supers. If there are capped frames in the 70% full supers I would extract them and immediately put them back on. It is amazing how fast wet supers get refilled. If you have swarm cells, I would find the queen and take her and a two or three frames of the open brood and let the hive raise a new queen and pole on a couple more supers or be ready to extract and put them back on while the bees are raising a queen instead of brood. But it is al local! Go with the closest competent advice you get.

Are the 2 mediums 70% full of brood, or of honey?

I'm a NewBeek, so I'm not totally sure, but I believe given the peaches are done, apples and dandelions are open that it is the start of nectar flow.

And the mediums are 70% full of honey, but completely covered in bees.

Then I agree with Vance... just misinterpreted your first post & was thinking they were full of brood (now THAT would've made a difference...lol)

DWBH,
    Sounds like it's working for you, but you have neglected the follow through. It's a one step manipulation, but just as importent is to keep the colony in empty drawn comb above to keep them from filling the hive to the top, with brood, nectar, or even concentrated bees. If you had added the empty drawn comb at the top at the same time you CBed, it would now be filled with nectar, and you would be adding another. Or possibly the second nother.

You may not be too late. You should be right at Reproductive cut off. Add it yesterday,
    and you've done your best you can do. If it starts filling with nectar, you are probably OK.
    I would expect both mediums to have substantial brood, and in the CB approach, we do not disturb the brood nest. It's okay to ignore advice from counselers who have never seen CB in action.
    Walt