Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Transplanting bumble hive?

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Skinner Apiaries 
#1 ·
I just discovered a small bumble bee hive tucked into the back corner of a shelf in my work shed next to my honeybee hives. At first I was inclined to just leave them there and work gently around them. But sometimes I make quite a racket, and they don't like that - plus, I need the shelf space. Have very little honeybee experience, and no bumble experience, but have protective gear. What's the best way to move the nest?

#2 ·
The only experience I have with bumbles was accidentally finding a bumble nest while attempting to repair a brick pier on a staircase (i.e. had about 75 MAD 2" bumbles chasing my father & I around the customer's property) long before I had any interest in beekeeping.
That said, I found one page with several links on it that may be of use to you: Bee Guild - Bumble Bees

Good Luck

#3 ·
I made a few bumble houses and have transplanted nests into the houses with no problems. I did it at night. Then I buried the houses in a ditch bank and both hives are thriving so good times. I'll pull the impatiens back up if I find a buyer for them otherwise they are welcome to spend the season where they currently reside.

#7 ·
Yes there are bumble bees and carpenter bees. Bumble bees live in colonies with a queen. Carpenter bees live a solitary life and bore holes into wood. Bumble bees and carpenter bees aren't even related. Just look similar. The easy way to tell them apart is look at the abdomen. Carpenter bees have a shiny almost metallic abdomen. Bumble bees are completely fuzzy. With bumble bees, there are hundreds of different species worldwide. In eastern America there are a few common species. Bombus impatiens is common and it sticks out because they live well into the fall. Bombus bimaculatus (an early species) Bombus griseocollis, Bombus vagans, Bombus perplexus, Bombus fervidus, Bombus auricomus, Bombus pennsylvanicus. Those are the more common ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.