Thread: 8 frame or 10

Hybrid View

Default 8 frame or 10

Just wanting to see how many of us use 8 frame hives or 10. If u use one over another why and what advantages or disadvantages does one have over another

Default Re: 8 frame or 10

I use all 10 frame, but that's just a coincidence of how I got started. Most people seem to start with 8 frame stuff. As far as I know, the only real difference is weight and the relative difficulty of hefting a full 10 frame honey super versus an 8 frame. I don't think the bees care at all.

To Bee or not to Bee is the question.

I went with 10 frame since its more common. I can get stuff off Craigslist and eBay for pretty cheap and most seems to be 10 frame. I also thought that I wouldn't have to look at it as much since there are 2 extra frames for them to fill out before I have to add more boxes to them. I also don't care about the extra weight as I take the frames out one at a time, put them into a box on my dolly, and wheel it to the extractor. That's my thinking.

I currently have 3 hives that are 10 frame ( 2 double deep and 1 with 4 mediums) and 2 hives that are 8 frame mediums. I plan on adding more 8 frame medium hives and used my 10 frame stuff as double nucs.

I got talked in to buying a 10 frame deep hive by an old beekeeper I bought my first nuc from. I won the second 10 frame deep hive in a raffle.

Have a good day.

William

I have rooftop hives on a 1930 4 story building with no elevator so 8 frame mediums are a no brainer. I started out with 10 frame and cut all mine down. After doing so, I was much more pleased with the versatility of 8 frame boxes.

You don't have to make nuc boxes as you can use 8 frames with two follower boards to make up 6 frame medium nucs. This comes in real handy when you combine nucs to regular hives.

I'm also constantly moving hives from one yard to another and I can fit more hives in my rig and on hive stands.

Also, I've found that my bees do better in 8 frames. I think it mimics more the size of a tree for my area and swarms are more attracted to them as well.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I use ten frame deeps. I have to get someone else to lift them, but it's a lot cheaper.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

I have been using both 8 frame and 10 frame to see which the bees and I prefer (along with some TBH and a few experiments that I have). I prefer the 8 frame and will be building all of my future equipment 8 frame (unless one of my experiments pans out really well and changes my mind).

I noticed the bees tend to draw out all 8 frames without me having to move them around like the 10 frame, when using foundation. However since I have gone to foundationless, they may draw them all the way out in the 10 frames, I have not given them a chance at this. My 8 frame hives seem to out perform the 10 frames probably because they have 2 less frames to fill. I have noticed less problems with moisture and pests in the 8 frames and attribute that to having less space for them to control. I dont use chemicals in any of my hives so buying used equipment is not something that I will ever do.

I am still young (30s) so the weight is not an issue; however the 8 frames stack up high pretty fast. I have one hive that is already got 2 deep, 2 med and will need another med this coming week if the frost did not kill the flow.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-14-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avesterfelt View Post
    My 8 frame hives seem to out perform the 10 frames probably because they have 2 less frames to fill. I have noticed less problems with moisture and pests in the 8 frames and attribute that to having less space for them to control. I don’t use chemicals in any of my hives so buying used equipment is not something that I will ever do.
    I'm experiencing the same. As far as the Craigslist comment about 10 frame equipment being more available, I would never buy used equipment from anyone I don't know, especially from Craigslist.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

[QUOTE=avesterfelt;78123.

. However since I have gone to foundationless, they may draw them all the way out in the 10 frames, I have not given them a chance at this. I have one hive that is already got 2 deep, 2 med and will need another med this coming week if the frost did not kill the flow.[/QUOTE]

i just bought a new 8 frame hive with 4 med boxes, i also bought foundationless frames. i have not put any bees in yet , this is my 2nd yr beekeeping and i am a bit nervous about doing this. i was told to paint some melted wax on the top to guide the bees. i have a deep box hive also 8 frame that i put out last yr, it has already swarmed this yr but still full of bees and queen cells, how could i use those queen cells to start another hive. i cannot interchange the frames from the deeps though, could i shake some bees in there. my deep boxes are full of honey and pollen and brood, my old queen is gone. last checked the hive 5 days ago i have left it alone since hoping a queen cell will hatch and they will be ok. i do have super on with wax foundation but they will not draw it out, i have sprayed it with sugar water as well not sure what else to do but i don't want another swarm. any advise is appreciated
    cheryl anne

I am going with eight frame also. Was looking for easier ventilation, smaller area to have to inspect, new equipment for sure never know online what u r getting in old equipment. I would hate to loose my colony over AFB or EFB disease. I liked the ideas of a little less weight and a smaller area to have to take up.