Default Swarm Staging Area

I am trying to guess where the swarming staging area might be in relation to their hive.

Are most of the staging areas a close high point from the hive opening?

How often and how far can they travel to the staging area?

Default Re: Swarm Staging Area

Ive got 2 pine trees that my bees like to swarm to. They both are directly in front of the hives and out of the 4-5 swarms ive caught on them only one has been above 7 feet high. Granted that one was 25 feet up though.

Quote Originally Posted by quevernick View Post
    Ive got 2 pine trees that my bees like to swarm to. They both are directly in front of the hives and out of the 4-5 swarms ive caught on them only one has been above 7 feet high. Granted that one was 25 feet up though.
    Maybe that one was a virgin queen.
    Read that virgins queens swarm higher in the tree.

Hmmm could be I know that one that was 25ft up was a virgin queen since the hive that swarmed was queenless at the time. But then again I know that one of the ones that was reachable from the ground was a virgin too.

Quote Originally Posted by quevernick View Post
    Most staging areas are close by,but they will sometimes go a mile or so.If the swarm is over 20 ft. high (in a tree) i let it go, at my age i won't rist breaking an arm or lege (or worse) for a bug. Jack