Default Swarm Trap Rental

Hi, I'm starting to offer swarm traps to my cut-out & trap-out customers as a way to reduce the likelihood of re-infestation (I come remove them if/when a swarm moves in for a fuel surcharge only).

What do you guys think would be an appropriate per-season rental fee for a 7 frame deep with swarm lure (artificial Nasonov pheromone) and used comb, in such a high vandalism/theft risk application?

Default Re: Swarm Trap Rental

I applaud the new business angle. I haven't heard that one before. If you're making the traps out of 1/2" ply, not painting, and hanging maybe only 1 or 2 frames with used comb, the rest empty, and nasonov.... Then you're looking at what, 20-25$ ish a box in material cost? So then figure out how long it takes to make them all up, and determine what you want to make at an hourly rate, and tack that on. Maybe 40 for the box for the season, plus gas if they take? You might want to just drive a route every two weeks or so anyway...
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
    Maybe 40 for the box for the season, plus gas if they take? You might want to just drive a route every two weeks or so anyway...
    I've been thinking about $50/season, so we're not apart by much...but I don't think I'll drive "the route" very frequently...it'd take about 5hrs to drive from one end of the area I do cut-outs in to the other!

Yea, I don't blame you for a big region. The thing I wonder about though, is if the folks renting the trap will be able to really tell you if a swarm moved in. They might just see a bunch of scouts and think that a swarm moved in.. Or they might not really look at it for a few months, and not see that a swarm moved in... I like the idea though
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b