Default Did I harvest too early......

The one that looks about 80% full weighs 2 3/4 lbs after subtracting the weight of the top bar.

I took these from the hive yesterday......could I put em back in? I'm assuming that would be okay. Though I think the order they were in when I took em out may be messed up when I put em back in the hive. Can't remember exactly where they were among the other combs.... The one on the plate though I can't put back in. I didn't cut all the brace comb and it cracked off from the top bar.

My other concern about trying to put em back in the hive is that they wouldn't have any brace comb and may break? I dunno? Opinions.....? Solutions....?

Default Re: Did I harvest too early......

The one on the plate I'd obviously keep out, and the one (2nd from Right) that's about 90%-95% capped, but I'd be tempted to let the bees finish filling the other three...but that's just me, and I'm not very (ok, not at all) experienced with harvesting from my TBH boxes yet

Hey. I am the guy who suggested that you may have harvested early in the other topic. Nice picture! I would say hat te second from the right looks good. Some of the others look like thy could be a bit more full. They made all that comb, you may as well wait until its mostly full. I wonder if maybe your scale is right. If that full comb is full on the other side, I would have a hard time believing that is only 2-3 lbs.

On the subject of putting them back, you could probably put them all back in. The comb that you already cut would just have to be reattached.

How much honey do they have in the hive right now and is there a flow on right now?

so what are the measurements on those. They really look small to me. Is that a dinner plate the "broken" comb is on?

If there is a lot of open nectar in the uncapped comb then your honey may spoil if you crush and strain it - because the water content is too high. Looks beautiful though - if you could package it just right it looks like something that would sell for 4 prices at whole foods.

Checked my scale and it's accurate. It's a postal scale that weighs up to 5 lbs in 1/2 oz incriments. There's at least that many combs still in the hive if not more. They are also working on a few combs which look full of nectar which they haven't capped yet. They have been collecting pollen for over a month now and there's lot's of blooms at the moment. The apples and such haven't began to bloom, but the apricot trees are in full bloom, and various bushes and wildflowers too are in full bloom ATM.

Yes that's a dinner plate. The comb size minus the top bar is 7.5 inches tall and 10.25 inches at the widest point, but more like 10 inches on average for all the combs.

There's no uncapped nectar in the comb.....but there is a bit of crystalized honey in some of it. Most of those combs actually have crystallized honey in em as much as the one in the picture that is about 90% capped. Erm...what I'm trying to say is the ones that look like they're half full of capped honey have cells which are half full of crystalized honey. The cells look empty in the picture but they actually have crystalized honey in em filling about half the cell. There's only one that doesn't have the crystalized honey in it and looks just like it does in the picture. Actually looking at the comb on the dinner plate you can see a light colored line about 8-10 cells below the capped honey. That's the crystalized stuff.

Speaking of crystalized honey.......how do I seperate it from the wax? I was gonna do the crush and strain method to seperate the honey from wax but I'm guessing that the crystalized stuff is gonna stay with the wax......maybe just take it to the bees and let em clean it out of the wax?

Thanks for the help everyone.

The bees won't clean up crystallized honey until they're starving...or at least that's my mentor's take on it (and incidentally agrees with all the reading I've done on the subject). If you're concerned about harvesting the crystallized honey in usable form, maybe it'd be worthwhile to simply MELT, rather than crush, the whole thing into a food-safe vessel (glass bread pan would prob. hold 2-3 of those combs, melted down). Once it all melts, settles, and cools, you'll have a vessel of honey with a nice wax seal on top! (kinda like sealing canned preserves with paraffin wax, only this is the natural way)
    I've actually been considering trying that, in addition to cut-comb, as one of my main honey-harvesting methods for my TBH's ...love the cool factor of repackaging it into what basically comprises a "super-sized" bee cell (would be awesome if I could get some hexagon tins to melt it into).

That is very beautiful honey comb.
    I am a newbee, so could you share a photo of the hive it
    came out of, i would like to see how it got that shape.

I don't have any pictures of the hive it came from. But here's a link to the plans I roughly followed to make the hive. http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

The biggest difference is that I used 2x12 lumber that was left over from some construction work on a family members home. So the interior dimesions are slightly different.