Thread: Hubam Clover

Default Hubam Clover

I finally found the clover on line where it did not cost an arm and a leg to ship it. So i ordered 20 lbs, it should be here next week, just in time, our last frost is over and I already plowed and cultimulched a couple of acres to give this a try. I'm in zone 5 so it should grow ok here if it grows up in zone 4. If this goes good, I have 25 acres to put into this next fall or early spring.

Default Re: Hubam Clover

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    I finally found the clover on line where it did not cost an arm and a leg to ship it. So i ordered 20 lbs, it should be here next week, just in time, our last frost is over and I already plowed and cultimulched a couple of acres to give this a try. I'm in zone 5 so it should grow ok here if it grows up in zone 4. If this goes good, I have 25 acres to put into this next fall or early spring.
    Throw a couple of lbs of Phacelia in with it and you will be impressed with the results. Phacelia will produce before the Hubam and so you can have even longer flow. You can get Phacelia from Wildseeds TX

Where did you get your hubam?

Quote Originally Posted by beerbee View Post
    Where did you get your hubam?
    http://www.geneticseed.com/comm_viewproduct.aspx?ID=138

He will get you cheap shipping.

Also abseed has it by lb.

I think raising bee nectar and pollen forage is the future of beekeeping... call it bee farming

Remember you can probably plant again after it flowers for a fall flow

got my seed from dk seed, the cheapest for shipping. from tx to ny

I am a newbee in Amarillo, TX getting my bees in about two weeks. I have a couple of patches of white clover about 100 feet from where my hive will be. I just notices some areas of the clover infested with aphids. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this peat and not harm the bees with any residual or systemic insecticide spray?

Spray a thick oil solution for aphids. Oil as in a natural food oil like peanut oil. Aphids are soft bodied and breathe thru their skin. Just don't hit bees direct and it will not hurt the honeybees at all. We use it in our organic farming with good results!

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    got my seed from dk seed, the cheapest for shipping. from tx to ny
    Last February, Max Wimmer from DK Seed Co. $149.95 plus $33 shipping to TN. The shipping has probably gone up some I am not sure if the price of the seed has or not.

http://www.dkseeds.com/our-products/Wildlife/clovers

I am trying the yellow sweet clover that is being sold on this forum this year that is about 1/3 the price. Yellow sweet clover is closely related to Hubam clover and has similar traits.

real soap in a sprayer not detergent... again aphids are soft bodied you can spray with oil which coats them and smothers them as they breath through thier skin or wash them in soap which removes thier natural oils and dries them out... i like the soap better then the oil and a bee in oil dies and bee in soap water just dries herself off and does her hair afterwards. oil on the lawn also looks bad.

Daniel
    Maryville, Tn

We puchased ours from Turner Seed Company in TX.

How is the Hubam clover growing for those that bought it?

Its around waist to chest high and blooming. It warms my heart to hear the gentle hummmmm when you walk by the field. Your from OK so you know about the windy days we have been having the clover waves back and forth with the bees. Notice on the pic, the bee doesn't even bother to pull in her tongue
    Bee flying in Hubam.jpg