Default Multiple Hive Entrences

I have read that having more then one hive entrance(more specifically one on the bottom and one somewhere in the supers) will cause you to get more honey. Has anyone tried this yet and what were the results? How frequent do you have them, ex. after every 3 box?

Default Re: Multiple Hive Entrences

I have heard that too. The theory as I understand is that the foragers don't have to fight their way through brood combs, nurse bees etc to crawl up to the top and deposit. They can skip all that and go deposit.
    There are other benefits. Increased ventilation and potentially helping to dehydrate the nectar quicker so they can cap it.

I have an entrance down below and on the top.

(Disclaimer)I have never done anything else so I don't have anything to compare it with. I am also a new beek that has just read a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by scallawa View Post
    I have heard that too. The theory as I understand is that the foragers don't have to fight their way through brood combs, nurse bees etc to crawl up to the top and deposit. They can skip all that and go deposit.
    Well, that's not really how it works. Foragers don't deposit their load in a cell. They give it to a receiver bee who then deposits the load in a cell somewhere in the hive...not necessarily in the top of the hive. If you inspect a colony during a nectar flow, you'll find new nectar in the top combs of the hive, bottom combs, in the broodnest, and everywhere.

I don't know why multiple entrances would increase honey production. It would make more guard bees necassary, I would think. Many of my hives have more than one entrance, not on purpose, but I haven't seen an increase in production.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Recently flipped the inner covers over on 2 hives and put the notch down so the bees could have another entrance.
    Seems they are more interested in plugging the hole with propolis than using it for an entrance/exit.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Recently flipped the inner covers over on 2 hives and put the notch down so the bees could have another entrance.
    Seems they are more interested in plugging the hole with propolis than using it for an entrance/exit.
    Here in the south it can cause you to get more beetles

I have a small bottom entrance and a large top entrance on mine. The bottom entrance is only 1/2" for most of the year. This greatly improves ventilation, with virtually no bearding in very hot weather. Also reduces condensation in winter.

A top entrance is also useful when using a queen excluder. I think this is where you are talking about you'll get more honey (above the excluder.)

"Here in the south it can cause you to get more beetles "

Fortunetly for me, here in Utah I really don't have to worry about them....although I'm not saying that they cant survive here just that I haven't herd that as one of the "pest" compaints here....yet.

" A top entrance is also useful when using a queen excluder"

yes this would be true, but I don't use them. Tried once but they didn't want to go past it at all.

Thanks for all the info.

the only time I've ever spotted wax moth larvae in my hives (individual larvae, never had an infestation) was in the days after after propping open the top of the hive with a pencil or a pencil sized stick.

I think if you have an excluder having an entrance on each side of the excluder may help. Otherwise I doubt it makes much difference.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I think if you have an excluder having an entrance on each side of the excluder may help. Otherwise I doubt it makes much difference.
    I will have to try that.

I experimented with a top entrance only, no bottom entrance this summer on some hives to see if honey production would be greater than with a bottom only entrance. I did use excluders also. What I found is they do seem to produce a bit more honey that way, but the downside is that they also stored lots of pollen in the supers, I found some frames 1/2 to 3/4 full of pollen on both sides. I'm thinking that the returning bees with pollen loads didn't want to go through the excluder into the broodnest to deposit the pollen, so they dumped it in the supers. As much as I like to see good amounts of pollen stored in a hive, I don't want it in my honey supers, so I'm going to try not using the excluder next year on some hives and still maintain an upper only entrance and see what the result is.

Actually I was not that impressed with the additional honey stored with the upper only entrance, and I may end up just going back to the bottom entrance. Also, I did notice that the returning bees would pile up on top of the frames real thick on the front part of the open box when doing inspections, and it seemed like they would get irritated with me much quicker than working a hive with a bottom only entrance, just my personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

The reason I tried some upper entrances(6 inch slot in the inner cover)is because of the study Jerry Hayes did and he found a pretty good increase in honey production using an excluder with an upper entrance. I didn't see as big an increase as I had hoped, and with the large amount of pollen that got stored in some of the super combs, I really was not that impressed overall. Now, I did have a bad skunk problem last couple years which I knew would be improved with the upper only entrance, but skunks didn't seem to be any problem this year with my bottom entrance hives at all, so hopefully it stays that way. As you say, an entrance on either side of the excluder may be the compromise, but I have found that if you give a hive both a top and bottom entrance, they use the bottom 90% of the time, so the upper entrance only serves as ventilation which is a good thing anyway.