Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default UPS/Pidgeon Mountain dead bees

I ordered two packages of bees from Pidgeon Mountain and they were shipped yesterday by UPS Next Day Air. Apparently UPS placed them in a non-breathable container and the entire shipment died. They are sitting at the UPS facility in Kentucky.

Pidgeon Mountain is out of bees, so if anyone knows of some Nucs available, I am still trying to buy 2.

First my supplier in Iowa raises their price from $80 for 3 lbs and a queen to $100 for 2 lbs and a queen, and now my other packages die. I guess I am not supposed to expand this year!

Default Re: UPS/Pidgeon Mountain dead bees

454 packages were destroyed in this shipment! I guess I am not the only one that is having a bad day.

"First my supplier in Iowa raises their price from $80 for 3 lbs and a queen to $100 for 2 lbs and a queen"

Who is THAT? Charging 20 percent more for 33 percent LESS product? Wow. . . that seems to be toeing the line on price gouging.

Also ordered a package from Pigeon Mountain Trading which looks like it got destroyed by UPS. So still interested in purchasing a package or NUC in the NYC area. Thanks.

Spring Valley Honey Farm in Perry, Iowa. I told them "no thanks"!

Now that I'm not going to have any bees, that price doesn't look so bad.

454 packages.....I know UPS won't insure live shipments, but with the press that the "save the bees" stories get these days, that almost seems worth some sort of media attention, shame UPS into doing this better.

Wow, that's sad, I hope you got reimbursed. That still doesn't help the no bee problem though. That very reason is why I have never had a package shipped.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Yes, Pidgeon Mountain is filing the claims with UPS. Hopefully we will get full reimbursement.

That's good to here, I have only dealt with them a few times but they have always been good to deal with.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

UPS now shows my package as delivered??? 10:15 AM to Louisville, Kentucky. I bet this is a game so they can look better with on-time deliveries. They were about 500 miles short of a completed delivery.

Here is the email from Pidgeon Mountain:

To: Affected Pigeon Mountain Customers

Subject: Live Bees Shipped UPS Next Day Air May 30th

Dear Customers

I must inform you that all 454 packages of bees shipped out on UPS next day air to you on May 30th have been destroyed somehow. This happened at the Louisville UPS center in Kentucky.

For 61 of you, this is the second time in less than two weeks that this has happened, your bees were destroyed at the Louisville distribution center previously.

Obviously to say we are heartbroken is an understatement! We do not know what happened at UPS, our account manager Mr. Russel Ayers informed us of this a couple hours ago. He does not know what happened either at this point, only that all the 454 packages of bees are destroyed.

Mr. Ayers has given us permission to provide his e-mail address and phone number for any of you whom wish to contact him at UPS. Mr. Ayers has worked extremely hard to make sure all went well with the shipment and I believe is as upset as we are with what has happened.

Russel Ayers
    raayers@ups.com
    678-634-7879

There are two options here:

Option one is we will work with you to process the claims with UPS and issue you a refund for your bees as the claims are processed.

Option two is we will if you wish ship to you bees using the USPS which is ground shipping on Wednesday June 5th. Normally May 31st is the last day to ship packaged bees, we will make an exception only for customers affected by this UPS Next Day disaster which has occurred and go back to the bee yards and get as many packages as is needed for those of you whom wish to have the packages replaced by USPS ground shipments. We will not ship any more bees UPS this year.

We at Pigeon Mountain are truly heart broken to see all of these bees destroyed at UPS, we are extremely sorry that this has occurred for all of our customers affected. The bees were delivered to UPS in excellent condition as Mr. Ayers from UPS will confirm, what happened from there at UPS we do not know, all we know is that Mr. Ayers has informed us that all the bees are dead and are at the UPS facility in Louisville, Kentucky.

I am sure our phone lines will be jammed today at Pigeon Mountain, our customer service staff will assist you in all ways possible.

Sincerely

S W McCloud

Pigeon Mountain Trading Company

--

S. W. McCloud
    President and CEO
    1766 Broomtown Road LaFayette, GA 30728
    706-638-8400 1-800-633-6425 Corporate Fax 706-638-7458
    Fax Direct to SMcCloud 310-943-2695 or 52-55-1084-2944
    smccloud@usvinyl.com
    www.usvinyl.com

http://usvdata.usvinyl.com/owa/attac...40usvinyl.asia

U.S. VINYL RECOMMENDS OUR MOISTURE AWAY® (MICRO VENTING PROCESS) AND NAMIL-TRAC®
    FOR ALL VINYL WALLCOVERINGS SHIPPING INTO AREAS WHERE THE GROWTH OF MILDEW,
    FUNGUS, MOLDS, AND BACTERIA MAY BE A PROBLEM. THIS PROCESS IS AVAILABLE ON ALL
    U.S. VINYL® WALLCOVERINGS ON A CUSTOM ORDER BASIS ONLY.
    PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION

Johnny Wallace

Pigeon Mountain Trading Company

106 North Duke Street LaFayette, GA 30728

Phone 706-638-1491

Fax 706-638-8488

Wow, that stinks. I guess it's easier to ship a killer whale (Willy) than it is to ship 400 bee packages.....

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Yes, Pidgeon Mountain is filing the claims with UPS. Hopefully we will get full reimbursement.
    First of UPS claims are junk they will fight even insured claims for months...
    second. they have had a major Bee Kill each of the last 3 years..... there service is terrible. last year they had a can of surup leak and bagged over 100 packages in one day and stopped all shipments for a week.

Yikes, that's pretty bad. Kind of adds a new perspective to the complaints and assumptions in this thread.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

personaly I think the problem is people.... All of them have major issues. quality pride and care in their work is gone..... common sense... gone.... due dilegence.... gone.... not real hard to realize you have a something live and needs a little care....

If it is the second time in a row, why would the UPS make the same mistake if they knew better the second time. Pigeon Mountain is definitely not the most reliable supplier, every time i order something from them it comes damaged or broken ex. supers, extractors, hive bodies. Sorry about your bees too, i know what it is like to be set back in beekeeping, I hope you have good luck.
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

How could UPS destroy shipment? They must have been in the back of a hot truck too long is my only guess. If that were the case someone did not communicate the temp sensitive nature of the shipment. What a shame.

How could they do it twice? UPS should offer free shipping for their inconvience. Maybe they'll improve their process on the 3rd try. Once thy lose money they tend to pay attention a lot better.

What can brown do for you? Looks like they are pretty good at killing bees.

UPS is not worth a crap on anything! I work in a warehouse, and we get very little in the way of UPS and people use Fed Ex way more....UPS doesn't care! In the last 7 years I have been living in my house, I have had a deep well pump with the cooling fins broken off, a small air compressor with a metal part broken off. Actually before that, I ordered a monitor for a computer about 8 yrs ago, and never got it, UPS website showed an attempt to deliver, there was no notice on my door or anything, next day same thing. I called and was told a notice had been placed on my door, and my monitor was on the verge of being sent back to the company because they couldn't deliver. I had a screen door over my front door, if they had put a notice, it would have been there. They claimed a notice had been left 3 times and there wasn't....finally I drove 20 miles and picked up the monitor.

2 months ago, I ordered a deep with frames, one frame, the wood was broken as if from a hard slam... I didn't even report it. 3 weeks ago, I had ordered another deep with frames, and 2 telescoping top covers, I just happened to pull up in the driveway when the UPS pulled up in front. I walked out on the porch to greet the guy and he walks up and drops the deep box from about 2-3 feet from the ground...and it slammed down hard...the telescoping covers, the sides of the top of the box were busted open, upon inspection I was missing some nails. When the guy dropped the deep box, I know my mouth fell open in shock, and then he started trying to make small talk...I reported him, and received a message on my answering machine stating that the driver had been "talked to".....

The bad thing is, a lot of places use UPS because it's cheaper and you might not have a choice in shipping, but YOU pay for it in the end....

I have ordered from Pigeon Mountain a couple of times, not bees, but I've never had any problems...
    Last edited by Beewildered61; 05-31-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: more info