Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: R. Russell queens

The only fools here are the ones that 1. Defend RA having had ZERO dealings with them and 2. Those that call those of us that have had poor dealings with them fools.

If "making good" is actually doing what you said you would do long after you said you would do it, then I'll be happy. But there's nothing else warranted on my part. Nothing else is due. Over and over, they have said they would do things and haven't. When they do finally "make it right", they are owed NOTHING from us. What are we supposed to do?? "Good news guys!!! RA came through 2 months late!! They really are upstanding!!!" Upstanding is doing what you said you would do THE FIRST TIME or in as timely of a manner and as gracious as possible.

If you ordered something from Walmart online and it didn't show up when it was supposed to, what would you do? You'd call them, email them and maybe even stop by the store. But if they never answered your calls, emails or didn't allow you on the property, you'd be mad. But when the product did finally show up, your reaction isn't going to be, "Hey, those Walmart folks aren't so bad after all. At least they did finally send it to me. Hey everybody, WALMART'S GREAT!!!" No...you'd tell everyone you knew to avoid ordering from Walmart online.

I'm such a fool that I've received, just today, a THANK YOU for posting this. He was about to order based upon their website only. But because this thread was at the top of the forum, and he read about all of our experiences, he chose to order elsewhere.

I keep hearing, "good folks", "ethical", etc....I'm not going to doubt their intensions and their hearts. But their actions have spoken louder.
    My past experiences with purchasing queens:
    1. They answer the phone and return emails.
    2. If they can't fill the order, then they say , "I can't fill the order". RA takes the order and the $$ and doesn't tell if they can fill it by the date you asked. I find it hard to believe that they are unaware that they can't fill our orders. This is not an "I want it now" mentality. It's really a "I'd like for you to be up front and honest with us about when/if you can fill the order. If you can't, that's fine. I can look elsewhere for an order and I'll call you again since you were up front and honest with me." But because of how they have conducted themselves, there are tons of folks that are out there screaming, "Don't do business with them!" Now, whose fault is that?????

Look, I sell nucs every year and every year I have to say to people, "I'm sorry, I don't have anymore." This year, I actually called some folks back pretty early and told them that I would not be able to fill their order for nucs. Since they were the last orders, they were the first off the list and I refunded their deposits. I actually put them in touch with folks that I knew sold a good nuc. That's agriculture. I'm fully aware of it. Our business is affected by things we have no control over.

I keep saying I'm done with this, but them I was called a fool...

Do I dare bring up your sexist comments? Now, that show's who the fool is...

So everything is alright now that RA has done what he said he would do to start with. How many phone calls not answered. If they had answered 20% of the e-mail or phone calls, wouldn't that have been nice. How can a large beekeeper order a 1000 queens and have them show up a week late 2 weeks late, or not at all. The defenders on here are a joke, I hope you have as much luck with "RA" as I have. Take several days of from work send in your money and hear nothing. There is a sucker born every day and I was one. Tony

I see the heated debate over Russell is still going on.

I recieved a variety of PM's on beesourse concerning my posts about Russell Apiaries. Yes, I posted a lot, mainly to respond to his defenders ridiculous claims and badgering the people who were out a lot of money.

Some of the messages I received explained the fact this 'feud' was a long standing fight between beesource members and pointed out I was just the latest sucker to get drawn into it. Also about some of the posters extending circumstances for their late orders and to be fair, I thought it would be best if I apologized and asked if my posts would be removed.

I am sorry I did that since that was taken out of context as "begging for forgiveness'. My apology was critisized And I was called a horrable women.etc etc.

BEGGING? Please.

I have no patience for this crap and am really horrified at what I have read here on Beesource and Russells own web site.

And and update on the remainder of my order?..it was going to be sent that week in May. That was exactly a month ago.

Once again I have to sadly report-Same poor/non existant service. No answers to calls or emails. And my emails were not to badger them about my queens.My emails were to offered to pay for shipping and to let them know I would accept a different variety of queens if the Cordovan Sunkists were not available...My email went off into the dark world of emptiness and oblivion never to be heard from again.

My original order was due in April and now July is around the corner. Hmmmm...I should have stated April 2012. Maybe they thought it was April 2013?

A little sarcastic? You bet. I've never seen such a Dog and Pony show as these forums have put on.

I am sure many defenders will be responding to this post. Go ahead and waste your time.

The fight here isn't even about Russell anymore. It's the dispute between the defenders and the customers. Russells strangly quiet lack of input makes it seem like they really don't even exist. And yes, I agree with another post- I have never had my credit card charged before the item is ready to ship. Especially not months in advance of delivery (Or lack of) A deposit would be understandable, but payment in full..then months of ....nothing? Seems a public forum is the only place folks have left to try to get some response for their money. Pay pal is past the dispute date and nothing else works.

And one note: I ordered March 3, 2012. I have never changed my order or shipping date of April. My delivery month came and went and I only got some responce when I started voicing my concerns and a kind man from Beesource with inside connections helped me get some Virgins at the end of May -to at least help me get something going. Problem was they were not the variety I had ordered..and frankly after three days in the cage they already had quite a pile of eggs in the candy tube. Too old?? You tell me. Only a small few were accepted and after a month-they are still not producing any larva. They are beautiful queens and I am going to go out and squash them today.

Russell Apiaries has the best variety of genetics I've seen anywhere. If they could figure out their 'bugs' in the small consumer-customer service are they could do so well. I hope they do. Shame to not succeed with a good product. Many people have told me they will not read forum posts. Shame, they need someone to take all the unhappy customers reasons and figure out a way all (Customers and Russell) can be satisfied. But if no one is listening???

I was all set to place some nice sized orders this year and next..until I had samples of many of his varieties. I love genetics and sadly will not have the chance to play with his stock. It is a loss all around I'd say.

I have 65 hives + 50 mating nucs+nucs I built and tend myself. I sold a few horses to pay for all this and had some nice plans for raising quality bees. It is a disapointment my dealings with Russell ended up like many others did. No real resolution and a lot of emotional forum posts.
    Last edited by Lauri; 06-23-2012 at 09:55 PM.

i was not defending but giving my honest reveiw on the queens.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    I see the heated debate over Russell is still going on.
    It’s funny how you were trying to sell Russell genetics on Craig’s list until I brought it to your attention and you pulled it down today.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/3084328464.html

“As the summer progresses my grafted queens have really begun to achieve more success. I will have queen cells and mated queens for sale by the end of June.
    I am grafting from my 2011 overwintered Glenn Apiaries Inseminated VSH Carniolan.)SHown in photo below-current pic) Read below about these genetics:

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/catalog.html

Capped Queen cells from this queen will be$15.00 each-a few will be available this Thursday.
    Mated VSH queens will be $30.00

Queen cells are time sensitive and must be picked up on time! I will now be grafting every Thursday so capped cell pick up will be ready on Saturdays for more convienent pick up dates for folks.

My next grafts will be from My own best locally overwintered and great producing queen, Russell Apiaries Sunkist Northern Select and English Buckfast queens.
    These were open mated. Capped queen cells will be $12.00 and mated queens $25.00

Info for genetics-Russell queens:
    http://russellapiaries.webs.com/apps...ategory/466366
    I only have a limited amount of mating nucs, so mated queens are limited and not available until later in the summer for fall requeening needs. Capped cells are more available.

A few nucs headed by Standard Italians or Carniolans should be ready for sale by July 15th. Most are in five frame deeps. I also can make nucs with 6 1/4" frames.
    Questions, please call 253-xxx-xxxx ask for Lauri

Sorry, no shipping this year. Raising queens takes scheduling and organization. I am still new and cannot guarantee queens to be ready on any given date. First come first serve this year folks.
    I plan to have several more varieties available next year, but have to overwinter them first to be sure they are tough enough to withstand the the challenges of our Pacific Northwest climate.

Key words: bee, bees, honey, honeybees, honey bee, hive, apiary, bee keeping beekeeping ”

How hypocritical of you. When it’s to your advantage you will use their name as a selling tool but come on the forums and slam them. I understand that you have a problem with them… I think we all do by now. Do you think that airing your frustrations here will solve you dilemma?

I have no pony in this race and have no opinion on whether Russell queens are good or bad or anything about them. I have never done any transactions with them at all.

What I have a problem with is when people, in an open forum, complain about a company and then list for sale items that they are selling and using the company name to help out with their sales. I have now seen this twice with people using the Russell name. Both on BeeSource now. If the product is so bad then why would the person(you) want to be attached to it? You can’t complain in an open forum with out taking the chance that people will find fault, just as you have found fault with Russell. Your add reads as if the Russell Sunkist queens have been over wintered and are great producers. You also wrote in the past tense that they (the grafted ones for sale) are open mated. Is this not true? Is your add on Craig’s list then misleading?

I completely understand using the name of Russell in your add if that is what the mother queen stock is from. But is it not counter productive to then go on an open forum and complain about the productive of the queens you received? Or how the seller (Russell) has treated your order? An example that is way out there…. I have some mother queens from Joe Breeder. I am selling daughters. Go take a look at Joes site and check them out but please don’t read what I have said about his business and his queens over there. Because with what I said you might not buy from me then let alone from the breeder.

You have cut your own wrist trying to solve a problem that should not be in an open forum. When you have a problem with Safeway (local grocery store) do you write to the editor of the Tacoma Turbine many times to air your complaints? Maybe its time to “Get Jesse” from channel 7. You stated you case many many days ago and still have to keep the horse going around the track. Deal with the supplier not with the rest of the world. Maybe snail mail might be a better choice. Crap if I was him I would completely forget your order for good. He now has nothing to loose. Sugar works a lot better then piss and vinegar.

NW Mark...you have valid points. But what you don't understand is that you're coming in late having not been through the junk.

You're right, sugar works better than piss and vinegar. The sugar is so far in the past with some folks that it's crazy. We all tried that. Some on here have been dealing with this for over a year. We were "nice" and patient. But it just kept happening over and over. Eventually folks have just lost their patience and have posted here so that others won't have to experience what we have.

Yes, some vingar has been slung here. Go back and read. Most of the vinegar has come after someone has tried to put it back on us as if it was our fault this has happened. You will see me get defensive if you try to blame me for what I've experienced.

Bottom line: We purchased/ordered a product. We were told what dates to ask for the order to be shipped. It didn't ship then. We emailed or called to ask about it.(I was VERY graceful. I sell nucs and I know how weather, etc affects this). Most of us got no responses to calls or emails. Some of us got responses and were told a new date. More often than not, that date came and went, too. Some of us that did receive the product(eventually) got a questionable product. DOA queens in the mail. I'm still waiting on replacement. Poor queens once they are placed in the hive. Over and over, we are experiencing this.

If I sold you a product that turned out to not be anything close to what I promised and gave you the run around on follow up communications or exchange/replacement and you exhausted every means possible with me to settle up/get a refund, etc, you bet your bottom you'd tell everyone to not do business with me.

Mark, Since you posted the same statements here as you did on Russells site I will also copy and paste my response.

Sorry you misread my ad. Heres what it states:

My NEXT grafts will be from My own best locally overwintered and great producing queen, Russell Apiaries Sunkist Northern Select and English Buckfast queens.

I see where this runs together somewhat and could be taken as all three are overwintered. My ad has been changed to delete the Russell name and stock only because I don't have it to offer.

These two Russell queens WERE open mated at my place..Remember they were virgins when I got them.

Capped queen cells WILL be $12.00 and mated queens $25.00

Just stating the price for these NEXT grafts when they become available.

Not meant for advertising purposes, Russells name and information were listed only to those that care about the genetics of their bees. I also posted Russells web site so they can see what I am talking about. They could buy straight from him if they wanted to.

I spent a few hundred dollars on my order, have waited for a few months past my delivery date for my mated queens and you feel I should not be uttering the Russell name to inform people of some of my genetics and try to make SOME of my money back? Have I not paid for that privilege? My public forum posts have been to complain, like many many others about there late orders and lack of customer service. Never disputed the quality of these genetics or Russells breeding program.

My craigs list ad was placed more than week ago. I was still hopeful Russells would come through for me (Remember they said the remainder of my order would be sent the last week in May. It is now the last week in June and I have had no contact from them.) I had hoped these new queens would live up to the hype. I am two months behind with my plans to work with Russells stock in my short season area. I am just doing the best I can with what I have to work with.

I sort of see your point, but hopefully you can also see mine.

I had hoped to use Russells genetics to improve my stock, not use their name as a selling point. Most people that have come to me don't know or care to know about genetics. They just want a good queen. Most don't even usually know there is anything existing other than Italians. Unless they are interested I don't even try to tell them about the genetics. They trust me to sell them a good queen and that is what I plan to do.

Russell Apiaries has the best variety of genetics I've seen anywhere. If they could figure out their 'bugs' in the small consumer-customer service are they could do so well. I hope they do. Shame to not succeed with a good product. Many people have told me they will not read forum posts. Shame, they need someone to take all the unhappy customers reasons and figure out a way all (Customers and Russell) can be satisfied. But if no one is listening???

I was all set to place some nice sized orders this year and next..until I had samples of many of his varieties. I love genetics and sadly will not have the chance to play with his stock. It is a loss all around I'd say.

I have 65 hives + 50 mating nucs+nucs I built and tend myself. I sold a few horses to pay for all this and had some nice plans for raising quality bees. It is a disapointment my dealings with Russell ended up like many others did. No real resolution and a lot of emotional forum posts.
    Oh yes, I've been keeping bees a total of one year. I'm not a business or trying to ride on Russells name. I'm busy as heck trying to just get establiahed. I'd be foolish not to sell a few queens or nucs to offset the thousands of $$ I have spent doing all this.

One note I should clarify. I agreed to accept virgins from Russell and the fact they were not mated well was entirely on my end. My weather here was still rainy and cool unfortunately. The fact they two queens that survived are not laying after a month is not a reflection of Russells genetics or management. Why my bees were so aggressive towards the Sunkists and easily accepted the Buckfasts is not clear. If the queens had been the variety I ordered I would of course call my order filled.

Mark, you have no idea of the situation or my intent. The fact you come on here out of the blue and have some authoritative opinion is sad.

Search Russells name here on Beesource and read ALL the posts before you state your opinions. You will see many of us who are accused of trashing Russells are really just responding to other members inflamitory posts who blame the problems on the customers.
    Last edited by Lauri; 06-24-2012 at 10:40 AM.

That explains everything now dosent it?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

All I can say is WOW
    Last edited by Lauri; 06-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    One note I should clarify. I agreed to accept virgins from Russell and the fact they were not mated well was entirely on my end. My weather here was still rainy and cool unfortunately. The fact they two queens that survived are not laying after a month is not a reflection of Russells genetics or management. Why my bees were so aggressive towards the Sunkists and easily accepted the Buckfasts is not clear. If the queens had been the variety I ordered I would of course call my order filled.

Mark, you have no idea of the situation or my intent. The fact you come on here out of the blue and have some authoritative opinion is sad.
    For Every Action, There Is An Equal And Opposite Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by theriverhawk View Post
    If I sold you a product that turned out to not be anything close to what I promised and gave you the run around on follow up communications or exchange/replacement and you exhausted every means possible with me to settle up/get a refund, etc, you bet your bottom you'd tell everyone to not do business with me.
    I have been screwed many times in my life from different people. The one thing that I have learned is if I can’t shake the persons hand at the beginning or end of the transaction then I am taking a gamble with my money. That’s the chance we all take with making purchases over the internet. You made a choice and gambled with your money. Do you really think your problem will be solved in an open forum?

I have a queen ordered from a company that is VERY HIGHLEY praised on this site. It was ordered in January. To this day it has not been received and I figured it’s a lesson learned and I went into the transaction with the self understanding that I was throwing my money out the door at the time. Is it worth me posting my sad face here about it..NO…. Life goes on and learn to live with it.

Like I said before if I was him I would completely forget your order for good. He now has nothing to loose. What good would it do now to make you happy. You and others have already done your best to destroy him. And what have you gotten for that? Nada... Zip ... Zero
    Last edited by Barry; 06-24-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: language

BeeG

I am sorry you are so offended by me. It is not surprising, though. You and I are probably very different.

You have a poodle dog for your thumbnail photo, I have a dead Mule deer buck . I am not like most women, I hate the mall and enjoy woodworking, the shooting sports, hunting, fishing,etc. The closest I have ever come to getting a manicure is when my husband scraps off the paint from my hands or digs out a cedar sliver from underneath my fingernail. I don't relate to most women well so the fact you don't 'get' me is not surprising.

But I for the life of me don't understand how you could perceive my posts as vicious and embarrassing. You say as a 'fellow woman' you were embarrassed for me. I've gone back and read most of them. They are not sugar coated, I'll have to say that. Straight and to the point and perhaps that is what is coming off as harsh in your opinion.

As was said in one PM to me, those posts were correct at the time I posted them. Here's part of that message:

"Please tell me you're not feeling "run off" over statements made in that controversial thread? BeeSource is a valuable resource for exchanging information with other beeks, and useful to all. Fortunately or not, it's also a public forum, with thousands of people in it, who all have their own opinions; although the admins do a LOT to keep debates from turning into heated arguments & personal attacks, it is still a public forum, so some improprieties will always, unfortunately happen.
    I don't personally see any need for you to have your posts deleted, in that thread or elsewhere; you made statements that you felt were appropriate at the time, and now have made other statements to clarify your new understanding. That's not offensive, that's a learning process, illustrated. IMHO, your comments, all of them, remaining in that thread now serves as a positive example for other customers who may be in a similar situation, and feeling as you previously did, I'd leave 'em myself "

I appreciated this message and think it is very well said.

As a new keeper, I couldn't have been successful to the level I am already without Beesourse. I read and learn from it every day and try to post helpful information for others, especially in the areas of hive design, genetics and experiments-especially regionally specific.

Let's stop all this fighting please. It is really getting us nowhere and having to respond to defend one's self is what keeps threads like this ongoing.
    Last edited by Lauri; 06-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_Mark View Post
    I have a queen ordered from a company that is VERY HIGHLEY praised on this site. It was ordered in January. To this day it has not been received and I figured it’s a lesson learned and I went into the transaction with the self understanding that I was throwing my money out the door at the time. Is it worth me posting my sad face here about it..NO…. Life goes on and learn to live with it.
    You do everyone on this forum a disservice when you have that kind of information and do not share it. For those of us who order queens all summer, it is important to have that information. Don't be a hero

BeeG: A second year beek chiming in as if they know what they're talking about? Look, I love to help newbees, but in this case, you are out of line. Rememer the old saying, "Walk a mile in a man shoes...." Well, you've walked about 30 yards compared to some folks who have walked many miles. When you've walked in our shoes as long as we have and have dealt with as many queen producers as we have, then your opinion will be valid regarding what we've experienced. You see, THIS IS WHAT WE EXPERIENCED. That, no one can take away from us. We know what we were told/not told, experienced, etc....Again, you cannot take this away from us. We know how we have been treated.

I hope you are EXTREMELY success for many years as a beekeeper. The more of us the better. I, also, hope you never have to go through what some on here have. In reality, we are actually looking out for you, the newbee. I would encourage you to focus on learning from folks, listen more and imitate those that are successful at this passion we call beekeeping.

Yep, I hate to admit I fell for the line last March 2011 and ordered Moonbeams. At the time I thought RA was a straight up outfit ready and willing to sell a product. Early this year I asked to add on some Sunkist if they could be combined w/ the previous order. Yep, no problem, will just credit when the order comes through. Yeah, right. Now, I did receive 3 Moonbeams and 3 Sunkist the end of May. So far so good, except that they weren't delivered on time, 1 DOA and all the rest with 4 dead attendents and the queens barely moving. So, I said I'd take virgins for replacements and shipping credit, but they shipped 1 queen, no credit or refund for the extra $19.50 they charged over the $28.50 shipping. 3 weeks later, 1 sunkist walking around on the frames, but no eggs, larva, and alllll the others long gone it looks like. So, was that a fun $251 experience??? Just glad it wasn't more, and feel like I've got that big "sucker" sticker on my forehead!!

And yes, like the others mentioned here I did try to communicate once a week thinking that they were just busy and would get to me at some point. 4 weeks later, I give up and will write this off as a learning experience. There's toooo many other good queen rearers out there to mess with these folks that obviously are staying just ahead of the legalities of the law. Don't know what makes the difference in crooks in jail vs. those running around in their bee yards. Same thing in my experience. I guess it has more to do with the amounts over or under $$$$.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: ***

I'm a little confused Brandy,

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Now, I did receive 3 Moonbeams and 3 Sunkist the end of May.
    Alright, still with you. You received your order . . .

So far so good, except that they weren't delivered on time
    Not fun, but it happens some time. Still received your order . . .

1 DOA
    I really think this is a complaint against the USPS, and not so much Russell's, but alright, let's see where we go with this . . .

and all the rest with 4 dead attendents
    Really? We are complaining about dead attendants? Again, I think this is more of a complaint against USPS than Russell's, but even if it was Russell's fault, you didn't order attendants, you ordered queens. The state of the attendants has little bearing on your queen order.

and the queens barely moving.
    Kinda a subjective complaint. "Barely moving." Are you saying they were damaged, diseased, or inferior? Or are you saying you expected them to be livlier? Or are you saying the shipping trip took a toll on the queens ( as evidenced by the dead attendants)?

So, I said I'd take virgins for replacements and shipping credit
    And that right there is where you lost me. You received one DOA queen, and the rest were still alive, but you told them you wanted virgins as replacements? Most suppliers don't replace queens anymore. Russell often does if they arrive DOA (and sometimes under other circumstances). You wanted virgins to replace queens that were "barely moving" but did survive the trip? I think that is a little excessive. If you wanted replacements because the "barely moving" queens didn't make it, I can understand.

3 weeks later, 1 sunkist walking around on the frames, but no eggs, larva, and alllll the others long gone it looks like.
    Are you referring to the virgins, or the "barely moving" queens? If you received virgins, you got replacements, so there isn't much to be upset about with the "barely moving" queens not performing. They were replaced with a product you requested. If you are referring to the virgins, it often takes more than 3 weeks to get a good laying pattern. And some may be gone. 20-40% loss of queens on mating flights isn't uncommon.

A few months ago I placed an order with Russell asking for a late June delivery. Found out recently that I would be traveling from July 1-8. I emailed Russell asking for a status update. They emailed me back saying they hoped to ship this week but if not they would hold my order till I returned. Got UPS notification that the order is on its way via Next Day Air and it is on the truck to be delivered this afternoon.

I am sorry that some people are not happy but I personally am quite pleased with the service and communication I have received from Russell Apiaries.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Well, I am disappointed with RA to say the least .
    I have been waiting without lots of drama for my queens this year. After several emails requesting information, I finally decided to post my questions on their site and requested a refund.
    The respond I got is that my posts were deleted a few minutes ago.
    What a disappointment! I believed RA was ethical, professional and honorable. I guess I will get my queens the moment I do not need them.
    If anyone from RA is reading this post; I just want my money back -no drama, no big deal, no more promises of great queens or this or that- just my money back now.

Aurelio (leo) Paez
    DBA Michas Honey House.

Sadly it seems they are taking down complaining posts on their forum. I've seen this happen a couple of times. And Robert doesn't seem to post on his own forum anymore.

So, taking down evidence on their short comings are the best they can do?
    Sad...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast