Default whats are your most popular bottle size/ where to get labels?

i am planing on my first yr. of homey processing. what size bottles should i keep on hand? where do you guys get Ur labels also?i

Default Re: whats are your most popular bottle size/ where to get labels?

I make my own labels.
    Your market may determine your bottles... for example, folks at Farmer's Markets seem to prefer pint and quart jars. High Brow shoppers want other type jars, and some folks prefer the regular "honey" style jars.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I use Ball and Kerr Mason jars that I buy in bulk by the full pallet. The most popular jar size that I get requests for are the quart jars. The pint jar run a moderately distant second place. I use half pint jars for free samples.......at least last season I did.

It depends on the market and how much you will sell your honey for. I can sell by the quart or gallon all day long, but most people will expect a discount when they buy in quantity and you may be costing yourself money by offering in the larger sizes. Many beekeepers have no trouble selling their entire harvest, so plan to get the best return for all your hard work. I mainly sell in 2,9,13 oz sizes and will provide quarts and one and 5 gallon sizes to dedicated customers.
    Jar type will also depend on market and how you choose to present your product. Do you want yours to stand out from others? Do you want people to remember your jar and not have it confused with someone else's.? I mainly use Hex and oval hex jars with labels I print myself with a nicely designed logo (Gotten cheap on EBAY). Do a hard cost analysis about how much it takes to produce that jar of honey.

I sold 45 gallons at work in 1 pound and 2 pound flip top plastic containers, and 5 pound plastic jugs. I got the 1 and 2 pounders from Sailor Plastics after sending for free samples and liking the quality. http://www.sailorplastics.com/reques...e38bb056a3e5b5 I got the 5 pounders from a local plastics plant. All my labels I got from Mann Lake. There seemed to be a machismo among the guys at work buying the honey "Give me the big one... I want the big one". I encouraged them to also buy a pounder and refill it as the flip top is easier to deal with.

Biggest seller was 16oz plastic fliptop.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    where do you guys get Ur labels also?i
    I recently worked with Laura on some logo specific labels at http://www.hetrickhoneybees.com/ and was impressed with the end product, and it was a pleasure not to do myself. Check out their site,,