Default Top Bar Hive Feeder

Here's my new feeder. You'll quickly surmise that it's my first time using my new camcorder.
    http://youtu.be/o6XeEuxamKY
    Last edited by Hoosier; 04-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Default Re: Top Bar Hive Feeder

"The best laid plans of mice and men go oft' awry."
    I installed the two 3# packages of bees two days ago. I checked both feeders yesterday; there were over one hundred drowned and/or half dead bees floating in the sugar water. The bees were able to get under the white covers some way. I removed the white covers and put a handful of straw into the sugar water. I looked this morning, and there were still a few drowned bees, but only a few; others were walking on the straw and taking sugar water. After things settle down in a couple of days, I'm going to remove the straw and put in wooden sticks instead or with some straw. It's working now, but I sure hated losing those first bees just to learn what not to do.

Interesting. I gave 'em confectioner's sugar slightly damp. And, what the heck, left the cans from the packages on two small sticks where they could get underneath 'em. Will be interesting to see what happens next. All I know is, they're hitting all the flowers in the field today. "Here's for low-tech ..." if it works.

I deleted the video from YouTube. I'll make another one later.