Default Huge swarm in trap

One week ago I decided to put up a five frame nuc as a trap in one of my away yards. Only put one frame inside with old comb and used a q-tip to smear a little lemongrass oil inside and then dropped the q-tip inside. I took this box and nailed it about 7ft up on a hickory tree 50 ft from the hives. Yesterday the landowner called to tell me of a huge swarm about 40ft up that had been there since the day before. I decided to stop by and take a look. (It was HUGE) When I got out of my truck the swarm took flight and headed straight for the swarm trap. I was amazed that such a large swarm would enter that small box. When I left there was more bees under the box than I thought the box would hold. Decided to fetch a regular deep box to put these bees in. When I returned late in the afternoon I was surprised to find all the bees had moved in. I took the top off and that box was packed fulllll.. I put them into the deep and they filled it full.. probably will need another box. Amazing to me that huge swarm would move into a box that small. Now, I am a believer in swarm traps as this was my first.

Default Re: Huge swarm in trap

You will soon need to join BBHASG. That is the BeeSource Bait Hive Addicts Support Group. You will find your self admiring every cooler, packing crate and other boxes scheming ways that they could work for bait boxes. You will start scrounging for plywood to make D Coates nuc boxes. You will save every scrap of black comb for bait. Your wife will ask why you bought a 55 gallon drum of LGO. Saturday nights will be spent driving around picking up full catches. You will stand in line at church asking every parishioner if they would like to Save The Bees with a trap in their yard. Its a downward sprial.

[QUOTE=paintingpreacher Now, I am a believer in swarm traps as this was my first.[/QUOTE]

Good job paintingpreacher, as Odfrank said it is addictive.

Odfrank is right. LGO is going to skyrocket. I am considering to start selling LGO by the train tanker load. Maybe deliver for 5000 gallon orders.

cchoganjr

Odfrank, that would be very funny if it werent so true.

You guys are right! Ha! Been looking for scrap wood today. Bees really go for that lemon scent. Had a swarm call from a lady living in a mobile home last year, she said the bees were underneath her home. After cutting a hole in the insulation underneath the trailor I could tell the bees were not acting just right for a swarm. The lady was using some type of lemon deoderizer in her bath and the bees were trying to get inside. There was no swarm there just lots of bees trying to enter through the plumbing cut outs.

Quote Originally Posted by paintingpreacher View Post
    One week ago I decided to put up a five frame nuc as a trap in one of my away yards. Only put one frame inside with old comb and used a q-tip to smear a little lemongrass oil inside and then dropped the q-tip inside. I took this box and nailed it about 7ft up on a hickory tree 50 ft from the hives. Yesterday the landowner called to tell me of a huge swarm about 40ft up that had been there since the day before. I decided to stop by and take a look. (It was HUGE) When I got out of my truck the swarm took flight and headed straight for the swarm trap. I was amazed that such a large swarm would enter that small box. When I left there was more bees under the box than I thought the box would hold. Decided to fetch a regular deep box to put these bees in. When I returned late in the afternoon I was surprised to find all the bees had moved in. I took the top off and that box was packed fulllll.. I put them into the deep and they filled it full.. probably will need another box. Amazing to me that huge swarm would move into a box that small. Now, I am a believer in swarm traps as this was my first.
    I have a question when you catch a swarm and you want that swarm to stay in the hive box & have put the queen in a queen catcher, how long can I leave her in there ? I want the bees to stay and not swarm again.