Default New to swarm trapping. What do I need?

I'm intrigued by the idea of swarm trapping. What equipment do I need and what do I need to do in order to trap swarms?

Thanks for the patience. This is just another fascinating area of beekeeping that I want to get into.

Default Re: New to swarm trapping. What do I need?

roostershooter7..... In the upper right corner of this page is the search for topics. Swarm trapping is a "hot" topic and has been discussed many times, and there is a wealth of information from a variety of beekeepers on this topic.

Type in swarm trapping then search. These forum comments should really help you. They will tell you all about how to do it, what equipment you need, best times for trapping, use of lures, size of boxes, etc,

This should really help you. You will get a lot of different opinions. Most of them will work.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 04-08-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling

At its simplest, a swarm trap is simply a box that a swarm might find attractive as a place to live.

You may be able to improve your odds by sizing the box appropriately and making it smell nice. There are lots of different opinions on exactly how to achieve that, and Beesouce members are often not bashful about expressing them.

What worked for me was a box with a volume of approx 10 gallons, using a few drops of lemongrass oil, and a 4" x 1/2" entrance near the bottom of the box. None of my 5 traps are higher than 5 feet off the ground. My successful trap is in the shade of a large tree, next to a creek, but that is likely just chance IMHO. I did not have any old comb to use in the trap.

Others will say that a smaller box is fine, use commercial swarm lures, hang from trees, use old comb, etc. Its like asking "how do I catch fish?"

Read some of the "ODFrank swarm trap" threads for more ideas.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

>Read some of the "ODFrank swarm trap" threads for more ideas.

I suggest you do not try swarm trapping. The field is getting to crowded with all you punks moving in on our secret and stealing all the loose swarms.

OD sounds like a swarm cartel boss. Pretty soon there will be turf battles and swarm seizures by the Department of Agriculture. If you live in the Bay Area, you'll have to go through Ollie to set traps. Looks like things may get ugly and the full season isn't even here yet!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    OD sounds like a swarm cartel boss. Pretty soon there will be turf battles and swarm seizures by the Department of Agriculture. If you live in the Bay Area, you'll have to go through Ollie to set traps. Looks like things may get ugly and the full season isn't even here yet!

That's ok. I live in the South. OD's reach doesn't get out this far. Here you have to worry about the Dixie Mafia.