Default I guess it's official...

...my two new hives are installed.

So I've been reading, studying, listening to podcasts, ordering first books, then hive parts and then two packages of bees from Bee Weaver.

I picked up the bees today and they are now in their new homes. I was able to get them all in without using a smoker or spraying them with syrup and happily no stings. As I finished installing them I asked for prayers of gentleness and forgiveness for what ever mistakes I will inevitably make and asked them to help me learn how to not be a keeper but rather a supporter.

I appreciate all the answers people on the forum have given to the questions I've had. I am sure that now that I actually have bees in the yard, there will be many more. (Actually, I already have one question which I will post separately).

So, I have two hives. Both eight frame medium with screened bottom boards (currently closed) with a Miller type feeder on top with top entrances just below the feeder. I am using foundationless frames with one PF120 in the middle to hopefully help them get started. I have about 3/4 of a gallon of 1:1 syrup in each feeder to help them get started.

So I just wanted to check in and say "so far so good".

Thanks,

Paula

Default Re: I guess it's official...

Paula-

Good luck you are where I was last year at this time. Now I am expanding to 10 hives and am thinking about quitting my regular job so I can spend more time beekeeping and continue to expand. I made every mistake last year and even invented some new ones, both of my colonies still survived and even produced 50 lb of honey. They are both still going strong this year so these 2 will become 4 this year.

Keep it simple, join a local beekeeping association. Someone told me there are "bee-havers", "bee-keepers", and "bee-meddlers". I am trying to be a bee-keeper.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Buls View Post
    As I finished installing them I asked for prayers of gentleness and forgiveness for what ever mistakes I will inevitably make and asked them to help me learn how to not be a keeper but rather a supporter.
    I'm sorry if this seems rude (and I hope it doesn't), but your statement about the prayers piqued my curiosity a little, are you Native American (or do you practice a Native religion)?

As far as the hives, congrats on getting your bees into their new home! Now the real adventure begins! ...don't worry too much about the mistakes you have made/will make; as Tom said, we've all made just about every mistake in the book during our first year, I'm personally partial to making double-mistakes on Sundays!

Oh yeah, Tom, I think I'm DEFINITELY a bee-meddler, rofl ... can't ever leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    I'm sorry if this seems rude (and I hope it doesn't), but your statement about the prayers piqued my curiosity a little, are you Native American (or do you practice a Native religion)?
    Not rude at all and thanks for asking. I may have some native blood back there somewhere but that doesn't make me native american. I do have a number of NA friends and they have been kind enough to share some of their ceremonies and ways of praying with me. To me it just makes sense to be respectful and reverential to our fellow denizens of the planet. I suppose the awareness of the inter-relatedness of all life is part of what has attracted me to working with bees.

Cheers,

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Buls View Post
    To me it just makes sense to be respectful and reverential to our fellow denizens of the planet.
    I couldn't agree more there, and I think it's really cool that your N.A. friends shared their religious affections & ceremonies with you....AND that you were respectful enough to appreciate it! I don't practice any N.A. religious aspects, but I try to be religious about practicing their respect for the planet, and all of its inhabitants.