Default Central Indiana Raising Bees

Hellow everyone, new this year to bee keeping. I was fortunate enough to pick up an 8 frame nuc from a local source in April. I found a beekeeper getting rid of a bunch of hives and equipment near bloomington and took everything he had. I bought another nuc in May and a few days later caught a small swarm that I put in a five frame nuc. So I went from no bees to lots ( Well lots for me ) The hives are doing well, but the little swarm 2-3000 bees seemed to really struggle. I added two frames of brood and bees to the nuc last week and did not see any evidence of fighting etc. I do not really expect any honey this year, but the weather has been really good. I have a honey super on my first hive, but they are not drawing it out yet. That is my first year summary so far and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Default Re: Central Indiana Raising Bees

Welcome!
    I'm in South Central Indiana and my first nuc was received in April a few years ago. I managed to get some honey that year. Not a lot but enough for me to get excited about and brag that I was using my own honey in my tea
    Good luck!!
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Welcome, yes bee's are like rabbits, get a couple of hives and then you have a yard full. Are you feeding the nuc? Good luck and enjoy.

Hello Bee Keepers. I am new today and am reading the forum to ready myself with knowledge on Bee keeping. I live in Middle Tennessee and I would like to know what books would be good to learn on starting up and maintaining Bees. Thanks for all your help.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to Beesource to both Hautions11 and Bee Sting!

Michael Bush offers a website that is very useful for both new beeks and experienced beekeepers:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

If you prefer to do your reading on paper, he offers that option as well.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome to the site!

Hello and Welcome!

There are a couple of local beekeeping clubs over your way - good way to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers:
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files...eper_assoc.pdf

I know where you can do a trapout in Terre Haute, A guy from there works with my Dad about 30 min away over here in IL and wanted to know if I would get rid of some bees for him, I told dad to tell him I had enough this yr and didn't want to have to hassle with getting the permits to transport bees into IL PM me your number and I'll pass it along if you are interested.

Thanks Craig, sent you a PM. I'd like to get some details. Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am feeding the nuc with a top feeder and 1 to 1 syrup.