Hybrid View

Default Will Spraying BT on Foundation and Plastic frames work for Wax Moths?

Will spraying BT on foundation and waxed plastic frames work for Wax Moths?

Will the bees still draw it out just as good?

Default Re: Will Spraying BT on Foundation and Plastic frames work for Wax Moths?

I've never had a problem with wax moths going after foundation, or even comb that's ONLY had honey in it. Wax moths strongly prefer brood comb - it's the larval casings they want.

Default Re: Will Spraying BT on Foundation and Plastic frames work for Wax Moths?

I would imagine that they would draw it just fine. As mentioned, there's no need to spray foundation. It's really brood comb that the wax moths go after.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I was thinking more along the line of furture protection. I spay the foundation and undrawn plastic, bee build on it and it would be safe from wax moths?

I do realize that the wax moth would have to eat the foundation and not the new wax to be killed by the BT.

I think you would get more efficacy from spray the frames after the comb has been drawn out. What makes BT work is when the freshly hatched larva take a bite of comb and then the bacteria does something to kill them. So if it's sprayed on the foundation the chances of them getting a bite of BT are less than if you spray it after its drawn out. I don't spray my frames unless they are going into storage. If you keep frames on a strong enough hive the bees will protect them. I don't even keep track of which frame has been sprayed, because it's so cheap that if they are going into storage i just spray them again even though it's supposed to last pretty much forever.

Rod

BT won't be effective after comb has been built out. At least that's my experience.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"