Default double sided bottom board for cloake board system

I wanted a bit of a landing area, but in my really wet weather-wood just gets trashed. So I made it with screen so it will drain well. Landing strip is 2 1/2" deep on both sides. Overall length is 25 1/2".
    Of course both ends are not stapled so you can change them out easily.

Shown in the background before screen and top spacers added. Accepts thin plywood for ventilation control, mite checks and dead air space when needed for insulation.

Hope this gives some others good ideas.
    Last edited by Lauri; 04-02-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: double sided bottom board for cloake board system

I've got a cloake board that sticks out similar to that, the problem with it, is when you put it between the lower deep and the upper deep and reverse the entrance of the lower deep, the bees run up looking for an upper entrance and run into the board sticking out and stop. some get it right after a while but it disrupts them for a day or so, I cut mine down to match the rest that i have.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Default Re: double sided bottom board for cloake board system

I think you might have mis understood. This is a bottom board so I don't have to turn the bottom deep around to switch the entrance. Just remove the back side entrance and plug up the front.
    My cloake boards are just queen excluders with and extention edge on three sides for the solid dividerto be slipped in.

Legs on the bottom boards are made out of 2x2's so I have room to slip a 1" piece of insulation under the hive in winter. (My hive bench is open)