Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Plastic Frames-Biggest Mistake Yet

26K views 44 replies 33 participants last post by  BEES4U 
#1 ·
New is not always better. Why in the world would one think that changing from the tried and true to the new up-to-date plastic foundations/frames would improve the quality of a beehive? I have recently converted to plastic foundation/frames and much to my dismay, have had a complete failure. I have added them into established brood chambers that had old, damaged comb-none have been drawn out. Then had the wonderful idea to use them in some swarm boxes I have caught this year. Even after coating the frames in syrup (sugar water) and feeding the swarms, they left. That's right. Three caught swarms left my boxes. I have NEVER had this happen with wax foundation. Yes, it would have been ideal for me to put drawn comb in with the new swarms or even some established brood frames, but unfortunately I don't have any to spare at the moment. Needless to say, I will be going back to all wax foundation. Sure, maybe it will be a little more effort on my end, but it beats losing over $300 in swarms - not to mention the quality and health of my existing colonies. Sorry for the venting, but I am absolutely sick over my screw up.

#30 ·
I've had a similar experience as described by the OP.

Natural comb came out O.K. .

I put in some rite cell deep frame foundation for a project (making deeps) and they turned out fine.

However, I still can't get my bees to draw out PF 120s.

So, yes, once they go natural cell, they won't do the PF 120s, but will do rite cell.

It is most annoying.

#31 ·
We use PF 120's, and have no problems getting the bees to work them. I brush on some extra wax, spray them with 1:1 syrup when I put them in the hive, and the bees draw them out just fine. We use the medium frames in our supers, and they take to them fine too. We don't add wax to the mediums, but we do spritz them with 1:1 when we put them on.

#32 ·
Last night I brushed extra beeswax onto the cell walls of a batch of PF120 frames, also some that had been cut out and mounted in wooden frames. This morning I installed many of them into brood nests, between frames of brood. Late this afternoon I checked to see how they were doing, of the five I examined, all were already completely drawn out into comb. Adding extra beeswax really does the trick.

#40 ·
Ok, I am liking the plastic so far! It is a lot faster and more durable. I started a package back on the 9th and they are filling the frames out nicely! I did nothing to them put them in as they were shipped. I think what I have been hearing is right, if you start them out on that they take to OK. If you switch them from wax, or regular cell, they don't like the change. Keep you updated.

#44 ·
I've had trouble with bees drawing plastic out correctly unless I make the spacing closer, for example, start with 10 frames and later reduce to 9.

Also, it's harder to cut out queen cells when they're on plastic.

#45 ·
4/25/2012
I have a field trial going on this April 2012.
I explained to Nick at Pierco that I was hot bees wax coating his one coating product to insure that they get drawn out and he suggested the 02 type
I purchased the Pierco 02 which is double coated, supered a strong medium, waited 10 days, and checked the hive on 4/24/2012.
Results:
:thumbsup:
5 perfectly drawn out frames on both sides from top bar to bottom bar!
photos will follow after a local rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.