Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bee Informed National Survey

i guess i'm just lucky, there have been bees on my property for the last five winters and there have been zero winter losses.

2008 4 hives

2009 6 hives

2010 4 hives (two summer losses after beekeeper died, both absconds from shb/moth infestation)

2011 10 hives (no summer or winter losses)

2012 17 hives (two summer losses, one laying worker and one varroa), i know we are not to april yet, but it looks like all 17 are gonna make it. and if they do, it will be five consecutive winters with zero losses.

i do insulate the top and have vents up there, but that's about it.

sol, thanks for the link to beeinformed.org

i scoured that whole site after you first bumped the thread this fall, good stuff.

and i have signed up to participate in next year's survey.

for me, surveys are surveys, no more, no less.

when it comes to information that has some real meat on the bones, something i can readily use in my operation, i have gleaned more useful and practical information by the shared testimonials here on beesource.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I've had good luck with strictly treatment free apiaries yielding the sword of"resistant" stock for years now. However, I fall I to the category Oldtimer mentioned. I'm smaller scale, and non migratory. I hand pick "permanent" apiaries. Moving bees stresses the heck out of them. When you combine that with exposure to everything out there, I'm sure it takes it's toll. I don't rely on them for a living either. I've less to lose. I think it would be cool to have a commercial pollination operation that selected for treatment free survival. I know the USDA did something similar when they bred the Pol Line Italians Glenn distributed. I'm not sure what treatments if any were administered. I've utilized some of those genetics in my operation with very high survival rates.

So I've had a few hours to mull this over and I've come to a few conclusions. (How accurate they are is anybody's guess!)

It seems like however we choose to manage our hives--treat, don't treat, change out the foundation, use it forever, etc--the results are basically the same. So I coming away from this survey thinking that: 1. We should do whatever feels comfortable knowing that, statistically anyhow, nobody is getting any better results with their way than we are with ours. 2. The success or failure of a hive STILL depends mostly on the skill of the beekeeper in recognizing what is going on in the hive and around it, interpreting what that means to the hive, and being able to implement whatever the hive needs to survive both short term and long term. And 3. Our skill improves as we go along. The more we learn, the better we get and the more of our hives get to survive our education!

As always, JMO

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 01-10-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: edited because I cannot spell!
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

This year's survey is coming up at the end of March. Navigate over to http://beeinformed.org/participate/ and sign up to participate.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Winter-Prep-report-2011-fig1.png

Interesting to find out that insulating does not have a significant effect colony survival, but upper entrances do.
    http://parkerfarms.blogspot.com/2013...al-survey.html

Insulating vs. ventilating. Not really that surprising.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

That was my theory. Bees don't heat the hive, therefore insulation of little value. Insulated lids help though, I suspect due to elimination of condensation on the roof, dripping onto the cluster, not because it keeps heat in.

Too bad there's not a catagory for insulated top plus top entrance.

What surprises me, in all the survey categories, is how little difference anything makes.

The same goes for treatments if you look at some of the previous data. Sure, unload some dough to 'save' all your hives, but your mortality rate might actually go down by like 5%, maybe 10% with the best ones. What this survey shows in very basic terms is that every year, a third of your hives are going to die on average.

Compensate.

I guess I've been really lucky so far. I've treated some, not treated others, bought the dreaded packages, etc. and in total, in 3 yrs, am 29/30. I almost feel like I'd be a more educated beekeeper if I'd experienced more problems.

Yup, what you need is more adversity.

I've pretty much done everything I've been warned would lead to doom and keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Okay, according to the survey, about a fifth of all hives were lost last year (2011-2012).

Just to remind everyone, the survey starts tomorrow. Please participate. The more people participate, the more accurate the results are. And from what I understand, if they get 300 results from a single state, they can give results for that individual states.

i signed up, but never heard back.

Neither did I. I expect an email tomorrow when the survey opens.

cool.

The new ABJ (April) has a good article with Dennis Van Engelsdorp and the Bee Informed Partnership (BIP) survey.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO PARTICIPATE BECAUSE IF THERE ARE AT LEAST 300 DIFFERENT PARTICIPANTS PER STATE, STATE SPECIFIC RESULTS CAN BE BROKEN DOWN.

If you belong to bee club it is essential that you make others in the club aware of this survey. The survey runs from today until 4/15 I believe. Also, remember that the survey is epidemiological based study. Again, if you don't understand what that is and how to extrapolate the results I urge you to read the April ABJ where Dennis Van Engelsdorp explains very plainly what that entails and means. No matter how big or small of a beekeeper you are....PARTICIPATE

just finished doing the survey. you have to go to the website:

http://beeinformed.org/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast