Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Bee Informed National Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Thanks to last year's survey, I 'll be using upper entrances for winter. Thanks to last year's survey, I didn't bother experimenting with small cell or FGMO. Thanks to last year's survey, I changed my approach to SHB. Saved some time and resources.

Rusty
    I guess I better take a look at that survey. I didn't know there was anything about upper entrances and wintering, small cell, FGMO and how to handle SHB.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Wondering when they are ever going to get past the preliminary results to the final results?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Mark, they do get very good info on management practices when they get around to publishing it all. That's where I get the info I quote all the time about how different appliances and methods don't work.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Looking forward to seeing the final draft. Will it be published on beesource.com when it comes available?
    Mark Berninghausen

I will link to it when I find it. You can see previous years' data already if you're interested.

Here it is Solomon, long time coming but I suspect they have better data this time.

http://beeinformed.org/wp-content/up...rolSummary.pdf
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Product O
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Hmmm, that was the year I had the most colonies and the least losses in all my career.

Still saying losses are not significantly higher for treatment free folks Solomon?

Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Still saying losses are not significantly higher for treatment free folks Solomon?

Ray?
    Well, it wasn't true for one year, at least.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

It was actually, just had to read the data properly, through an unbiased lens. This year they have seen how it was misinterpreted & written it harder to misunderstand, or cherry pick to suit an agenda.

Where's Bispham? He's all over the forum like a rash, then mentions a few mite issues, next thing poof, he's gone, vanished! Collecting new swarms I guess to maintain numbers.

The results were interesting, thank you for sharing Oldtimer.

I meant that there was a significant difference last year, but it was true in some prior years that the difference was less. I always found it odd that there was so little difference in prior years, because I assumed that most non-treaters were relative novices, and thus more likely to lose their bees, for other reasons.

So far my problems have been too many bees, and hives that were excessively strong for the backyard, but I'm sure I'll have different results by fall.

My North Country bees had 100% survival, despite the ferocious winter. But honesty compels me to admit that I only left one hive up there. Still, I was astonished that it survived, because it was a little light in October, and I failed to close down the entrance. No wrapping or insulation, and yet it was brooding up nicely in April.

I'm taking a half-dozen home-made nucs north to NY in a few days. It's nice not having to buy bees.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Ray there has always been a difference, as one would expect, despite what has been said on Beesource.

It has been stated on the likes of Beesource that there is no difference, however that has been backed up by spin and carefully cherry picked and massaged data, or not backed up at all.

The previous survey, which some claimed showed no difference, when read properly showed a 30% difference and because of all the dishonesty I demonstrated that one time. None of the people who had been using data in a misleading manner responded.

This is all the more remarkable considering the stressors commercial hives are subjected to that treatment free, stationary, intensively cared for, hobby hives, are not subjected to.

Anyhow congrats on having all but one of your hives survive.

Where's Bispham? Kinda quiet around here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    I'm taking a half-dozen home-made nucs north to NY in a few days. It's nice not having to buy bees.
    How r u going to do that and not have the same experience as last time? When r u coming North?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Where's Bispham? Kinda quiet around here lately.
    Maybe he is taking a break from all the arguing you and he seem to do. Maybe he is busy working at whatever he works.
    Mark Berninghausen

My losses this past winter were actually a bit higher than the winter before but more significantly hive populations were down. Why? There is no doubt in my mind that it's because I got a bit behind on our treatment plan. My hives got a single thymol treatment which I chose to delay because of a late heat wave. We didn't do any oxalic treating because it got too late on us to do it up north. Late winter/early spring sampling was showing 2 to 3% infestations at a time of year when it should be difficult to find a mite. This spring we changed course and opted for a single treatment of either oxalic or Hopguard at the 3 week window post queen removal in our spring nucing and saw a good mite knockdown. Bees look awesome right now, well see how they look 4 months from now.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How r u going to do that and not have the same experience as last time? When r u coming North?
    I'm going back to the standard nuc boxes that I moved without problem last year, I'm putting them on the trailer under shade instead of inside the car, and I'm moving nucs that aren't as chock full of bees as the one I lost. I had another nuc that made it fine on the same trip that killed the big nuc-- the one that died had a lot of bees. It was an overwintered nuc that was booming. I've about decided that the problem was too many bees.

I'm planning to take off in a few days.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Call me when you get here. I could use a hand. If you have any time to spare.
    Mark Berninghausen

From another thread. VanEngelsdorp is one of the principal investigators. He says it in no uncertain terms.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The survey found that bee mortality was much lower for beekeepers who carefully treated their hives to control the mites.

VanEngelsdorp said small-scale beekeepers in particular should be more diligent about using anti-mite treatments.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/envir...deaths-n105651
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast