Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arctic blast

Default Arctic blast

Anybody doing anything special for this second round of cold weather?
    I only have one hive and so far doing ok. I'm not doing anything special other than praying hoping it is over.

Default Re: Artic blast

Quote Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
    Yup, staying warm inside! If it ain't done, it's too probably too late.......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Going to be -10 F tonight with a high of -5 F here tomorrow and dipping to -20 F tomorrow night (with 15-20 MPH NW wind)... and we just got about 8-10" of snow last night. Winter may have taken a bit to get here... but she's here now.

I will be curious to see if any of our first year bees survive. My expectations going into winter were that we'd have 0 of 5 survival.

The snow is great insulation. I'm going down to 5F with no snow...wish i had a good layer to insulate my girls.

I'm like snl, I've already done everything I can, feed, insulate and cover. Now just time to wait it out and pray they make it through. Plus I'm guessing there's a lot of winter
    left, unfortunately.

Why expect the worst jwcarlson?

it is not so much how cold it is but how long it lasts. the cluster has to be able to stay in contact with food.

I think Im good with the food part. I can only be positive now and hope for the best. Im sure the first few years beekeepers feel the same.

I just threw caution to the wind and put Styrofoam board around my weakest double nuc. During the warm stretch last week I popped the cover and gave them more winter patties, one side was dead. Its 10 here now, figured I had nothing to loose as I had written them off. They're right up in the top cover eating from the sounds of things, maybe they stand a chance? I'll be shocked, but stranger things have happened. Rather than open them I set a piece of 2" Styrofoam on the outside of the cover and 3/4" Styrofoam around them, came back 10 minutes later with a weight to hold it down and the ice under the Styrofoam had melted. Guess they're plenty warm for now. We've got another 15-18 weeks before it warms up, I don't hold a lot of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by atgreene View Post
    We've got another 15-18 weeks before it warms up, I don't hold a lot of hope.
    And I thought I had to worry...

Quote Originally Posted by gezellig View Post
    Why expect the worst jwcarlson?
    Why expect the best... or anything other than the worst?
    I look at it this way. If my anticipation is having zero hives in April, I will not be disappointed if even one survives. I'm not preparing for zero, I am still going to build boxes, frames, and nuc boxes for this coming spring... I just am not counting on the bees to be there. I still fed them 2:1 syrup to get them to weight or as heavy as I could. I've still put emergency feed on the ones that had weights that concerned me.

I'd like to get to about ten hives (full size and nucs) this year though spliting and catching swarms. And maybe try to raise a few queens if I get anything to live though the winter. We bought three packages this spring and I don't really want to go down that road anymore. Three packages and two swarms currently chugging through winter.

So maybe a better description is that I have mentally prepared to be super disappointed... but I am also figuring out as much as I can (before actually getting to do it) about swarm prevention, queen rearing, and "established" hive management. My dad and brother are kind of "silent partners" on this journey... they are always telling me how negative I am.

And I thought I had to worry...
    In Arkansas?!? That might as well be on the equator compared to some places in this country.

This is called WINTER. It happens every year and bees have been surviving them thru ice ages to our current interglacial period. No need to panic or worry. You either did your job earlier or you didn't.

Going to be cold this week again, they were out yesterday, supposed to be in the 60s today so they'll be out again. I think I'll be OK if I get through this month, my first wintering, have my fingers crossed.

Have my weaker 8 frames or less hives in my unheated attached garage.
    will move them outside when it get 45 or better for a few days. Then back in below 17.

I may bring in a 5 and 6 frame nuc tomorrow night. The real cold doesn't hit us until wednesday.

Just chilling watching the WILDCATS whoop up on the CARDINALS and everyone else.... LOL

We have already reduced entrances and closed screened bottoms off. One additional thing we did is move some small nucs from a higher elevation to a warmer location. This warmer location happens to be my home apiary. The smallest nucs have a spot that is totally sealed off from wind on three sides. During extreme cold snaps, I will move the smallest nucs to our unheated garage. It is a bit of trouble. But it has worked in the past.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Have my weaker 8 frames or less hives in my unheated attached garage.
    will move them outside when it get 45 or better for a few days. Then back in below 17.
    We do something similar. It has worked for us in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Just chilling watching the WILDCATS whoop up on the CARDINALS and everyone else.... LOL
    MOUNTAIN MAN...We sure played flat tonight. maybe too cold

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    We do something similar. It has worked for us in the past.
    Please tell.