Default Installing a 4 frame nuc (on foundation) into a foundationless hive

Hi Everyone ,

New Beekeeper here. I have a 4 frame nuc coming. It will be on standard foundation. I'd like to go foundationless. If I put the 4 frames of the nuc in th middle of the brood box with 3 empty frames on each side, will that work? I'll flip the wedge and use that as my starter strip on the blank frames and rotate the nuc frames out over time. Thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Installing a 4 frame nuc (on foundation) into a foundationless hive

If it's 4 frames of brood comb, you can stagger the frames like EEBEBEBEBE and it should work fine+get the foundationless frames drawn out a little faster...
    HOWEVER, seeing that you're in Maine, I'm not completely sure whether your weather is warm enough to allow breaking up the cluster that much yet, so I'll defer on that part to someone with more cold-climate bee experience than my warm-blooded, coastal-dwelling self

Thanks. It was 82 degrees here last week and back in the 40's now. Who knows what the weather will be like. This year has been whacky. The nuc will not be coming until 6/1. Night temps should be in the low 50s by then... I hope.

on 6/1, I'd consider checkerboarding the brood comb to be pretty safe then