Hybrid View

Default Capped Q cells next to unhatched eggs

Is it possible the queen is still there? I couldn't find her. I don't think this is a supercedure- most Q cells are on bottom of frames.

Also fresh eggs in Q cups in another hive- would a cut-down split be the best approach? I'm not particularly trying to increase hives- 5 is plenty. Just want some honey for mead

Default Re: Capped Q cells next to unhatched eggs

Q cells @ bottom of frame+fresh eggs still being lain = swarm (not 100% guaranteed, but that's the general expectation)

...might be time to make a split; move the Queen + a lot of workers to another hive with no brood. Make 'em think they already swarmed (you can re-join the two hives into one big, strong hive [after killing the new V. Queen] later, if you want).

Doesn't the queen usually leave before the cells are capped?

I think she leaves when they're ready to emerge...a few days after capping; and the eggs take a few days to hatch, so you can have eggs and a V. Queen in the same hive for a couple days.

Aside from that, B.R. you mind sending me a couple mead brewing recipes? I've done a couple "bathtub" wines in the past, wanting to start makin' my own mead, no good mead supplier near me

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    Q cells @ bottom of frame+fresh eggs still being lain = swarm (not 100% guaranteed, but that's the general expectation)

...might be time to make a split; move the Queen + a lot of workers to another hive with no brood. Make 'em think they already swarmed (you can re-join the two hives into one big, strong hive [after killing the new V. Queen] later, if you want).
    With no brood? I just did this today and moved over two frames of brood?

When a swarm moves out, they don't take any brood with them. If we're wanting to stop the natural swarm impulse by "fake" swarming them, we want it to be as close to the real thing as we can conveniently manage, so preferably with no brood. That said, if you only moved a "little" brood over, and there were ZERO queen cells in the moved brood, I'm guessing it'll likely accomplish the same goal. (although I'm not exactly an expert on the matter...no yet, at least)