Hybrid View

Default filters/ strainers for 5 gallon honey bucket- plastic or stainless steel?

i see those plastic ones that fit in the bucket for a fraction of the price of the metal ones.. they worth it? will they last?
    i am looking to but once?

Default Re: filters/ strainers for 5 gallon honey bucket- plastic or stainless steel?

I've had great luck with the plastic filters. I have one sine 2005 and its still in good condition. I like to 600 micron.

Default Re: filters/ strainers for 5 gallon honey bucket- plastic or stainless steel?

Same here for the plastic one. 600 micron works the best, don't need the smaller ones.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

We have both, the plastic ones are very flimsy. If you can afford it go with the metal set.
    Dan

Then line it with the strainer cloth. As it clogs up, you can pull it to one side, put another piece of cloth in, and pour a new batch of honey into the clean cloth while the other drains. Then rinse them out and reuse. makes cleanup a breeze, and speeds up straining.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

You mite like this Idea I came up with. get 2 extra 5 gal buckets and cut the buckets 1 inch below the bottom rib. then make cuts every 3 inches around the bucket half. it will slip into the strainer then you just set it ontop of the next strainer. that way you use all three strainers at once without having to pour into a new bucket. here are a few photos to show you how I do it.

stariner1.jpg

strainer2.jpgstrainer3.jpgstrainer4.jpgstrainer5.jpg