Default SBB: Fat wire #6 close in size to #7 ?

I know, this again. Please bear with me.
    I have not seen this wire vendor mentioned, and wire size can make a pretty noticible difference.

I want to make sure I have the best SBB screen possible at the start. I have someone willing to build these.
    If it catches more beetles, it is worth the additional, particularly since I am slammed on shipping either way.

So....Plain hardware cloth has about a .017 wire diameter.

So, opening sizes would be, respectively
    #8 .108 in
    #7 .126 in
    #6 .149 in

Here is a source for #6 aluminum cloth with a larger wire size of.035, more than double the regular wire diameter, which gives an opening size of .131...quite close to the #7.

http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh/TWPC...6X006A0350W36T

Interestlingly, this is the only product in their line that mentions SHB specifically.

"6 wires per inch. Sturdy mesh used in grills, fan guards, small hive beetle traps, and as filter support screen. Cuts with tin snips. Scroll down to see pricing."

Is this a better option than #8 regular / galvanized. We have no winter here, and its Club Med for beetles.
    http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh/TWPC...6X006A0350W36T

yes, it is expensive, but everything is here.....

Thoughts?

Default Re: SBB: Fat wire #6 close in size to #7 ?

#8 is what you want. Cathes beetles and not bees.

The elusive #7 galvanized hardware wire is reported to allow big beetles (we grow'em big down here in the southeast!) to pass through but stop bees. #6 lets bees through...#8 stops some of the beetles. The OP is trying to get that magic mesh opening size in between those to sizes. #7 is very hard to find, though. Kelleys sells it, but in 100' rolls and in single sheet sizes...rather pricey.

I noticed that at the link to twpinc's website there is a minimum order of $75...just thought I'd mention it. I may order some sheets of the #7 from Kelleys next time I order...

Ed
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-01-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: UNQuote

Exactly Ed....the wire on TWP #6 is twice the diameter of the standard hardware cloth wire, making that opening just .005 larger than standard #7 (elusive) hwc.

Ken, I have read as much as I can on this, and I see also that #8 may not be getting the larger beetles. If I am going to invest in shipping this stuff over here, I figure its worth the research to get something that will deliver the most bang for the buck.

Those SHBs can get pretty big here...its the tropics.

Thank you for the replies.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-01-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: UNQuote

Its been a while but the last time I talked to "Kelleys" about #7 they would only sell by the roll and it was $350.00 a roll
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    Its been a while but the last time I talked to "Kelleys" about #7 they would only sell by the roll and it was $350.00 a roll
    I got the girl I deal with at Kelleys to check for me about the "replacement screens" that they have...they are the #7 mesh. I think the rolls have gone up more than the $350...
    Last edited by Intheswamp; 04-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.

That's really expensive. Did you still get it?