Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Queen Cups

Default Re: Queen Cups

I haven't done any queen breeding (yet) myself, but there seems to be an almost unanimous statement in every document/thread I've read on the subject stating that disturbing the hive at all between when the virgin queen(s) emerges & when she's mated+laying (about 10 days later) has a detrimental effect on the quality of the queen. That said, I think I'd hold off on inspecting the donor hive for the next 2 Sundays if it were my hive.

P.S. Check out the Moving from ok queens to great queens thread here on beesource for a (somewhat lengthy) look into the "ins and outs" of queen rearing...quite interesting stuff actually, and I'm intending to start raising my own queens as soon as my hives get strong enough to support the project

The donor hive has cells, you've confirmed that. Now just leave them alone for a couple of weeks and you should have a new laying queen. You cannot micromanage bees!

I went out again yesterday just to look around. The activity at the donor hive seemed reduced and the activity at the split hive seemed increased. In front of the donor hive I noticed this:

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

The pictures aren't great. (I haven't figured out how to upload a good picture on here, I keep having to resize to 400x400). Is this a queen? It looks bigger than a worker, but its eyes look to small to be a drone and it doesn't look quite big enough to be a queen. As you can see, there were a couple of workers crawling all over it. I picked it up and it wasn't quite dead.

Could this have been one of the queens that the new, dominant queen killed? I'm two weeks since the split.

Looks like a queen to me...like you guess, I'd say it's most likely NOT the victor of the "duel of the newly emerged virgins"...of course, you could always save her in a bit of alcohol to make some QMP to use later

Assuming we're correct, how many days until I should have new eggs in the hive?

Hmmm...if I remember the "queen calendars" I've seen correctly, she should be flying out to mate in 3-5 days...then start laying a couple-three days after that...so check on her in 8-10 days to be sure she's laying...or in 12-14 if you'd prefer to look for brood over unhatched (hard to see in all but the best light) eggs.

<edit>
    Here's a link to a fairly lengthy threat here on BeeSource that should answer 99% of everything you ever wanted to know about raising queens: Moving from ok queens ... to great queens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12