Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wax foundation falling, how to fix?

Opened the hives today and the shallow supers I placed on last weekend are full of bees working but all the foundation has fallen over. I am wanting to get cut comb from these shallows so I thought that's why I should just use was foundation only with no wire support. How do you guys remedy this? I went ahead and just scrapped it all out bc the bees had already begun pulling comb out in all directions of the fallen foundation. Any helped would be greatly appreciated.

Sully

Default Re: Wax foundation falling, how to fix?

Do i glue the foundation in the top groove or somehow wedge the wax foundation into the top groove?

Sully

Traditionally I think foundation is set in wax when used in grooved frames. There are tools for this, and it requires a fairly large container of melted beeswax.

I would use wedge type frames for cut comb, it's more likely the foundation will stay up until the bees get some drawn.

Peter

I don't have the copper tube with melted beeswax, which is probably what I should do. On the frames where this is a problem, or if I'm just adding a strip of foundation for the bees to draw out, I'll take a beeswax candle, light it and drip wax on to the point where the wood meets the foundation.

Doesn't take a lot of drips to "tack" the strip in place.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

If you have holes on your end bars (usually used for wiring), put some bobby pins in to hold the foundation in place. One on each end should give you a lot more support. You can pull them out when the bees get the foundation tacked in place, or just pull them when you get ready to cut the comb.

Standman, awesome idea thank you very much!

Melted wax works, or use the wedge to pinch it in there. You could also just use a strip of foundation and let them build in the rest. As long as the hive is level side to side, it should work out.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

If people would stop recommending foundation to these poor newbees... this would never happen with foundationless...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

let us know how the bobby pin works out please.

If the foundation is.falling over, it isn't for lack of bobbypins in the wire holes....its that it isn't attached at the top of the frame.
    deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If people would stop recommending foundation to these poor newbees... this would never happen with foundationless...
    I was a NewBee 40+ years ago and never had foundation fall out. They should know more about their endeavor before undertaking it. Too many NewBees who take up beekeeping like they are buying a kitten or puppy. A leash, a bowl, some kibble, a blanket and off they go.

You know Mike was being tongue in cheek, because some many people say that new people can't handle going foundationless. I don't want to speak for Mike, but the point is new people make mistakes no matter what philosophy of beekeeping they are following. Those who don't like foundationless should just stick to teaching people who use foundation on the proper way of going that way, and those that like foundationless will stick to helping people who want to go that route.
    Rod

I agree. Just bought six hundred foundationless frames from Kelley's. That would fix your problem.

Hmmmm....so those of us who prefer foundation, cut comb, etc...and have a market for it...and are new to beekeeping should just go ahead and get rid of all our bees and burn up our equipment and forget the hobby of beekeeping...interesting concept...

Quote Originally Posted by postie View Post
    Hmmmm....so those of us who prefer foundation, cut comb, etc...and have a market for it...and are new to beekeeping should just go ahead and get rid of all our bees and burn up our equipment and forget the hobby of beekeeping...interesting concept...

That's not what anyone is saying. You are sort of caught in the middle of the debate between the foundation people and the foundationless people. I think everyone foundation or foundationless is saying to make sure you get plenty of information before moving forward. The foundationless people are just saying that they don't have to worry about foundation falling out or sagging before it's drawn. We have to worry about other things, but not that. Each approach has it's pluses and minuses and people just need to decide what works best for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    The foundationless people are just saying that they don't have to worry about foundation falling out or sagging before it's drawn.
    People who ride bicycles don't have to worry about their gas tanks exploding, but then neither do most people who drive cars. His problem had nothing to do with choosing foundation vs. foundationless. It was the type of foundation with the type of frame or the lack of tacking it in with wax that caused his problem.

Not to mention with a cut comb product, isn't the word that the bulk of the wax [foundation] you buy from big distributors is contaminated with various chemicals because of so much useage by the major industry?

When I used foundation, I would not put thin surplus foundation in (usually thin and unwired) until just before I put on the super. I would use grooved top bars and I would wax the foundation in with a wax tube fastener. I would also use 7/11 foundation from Kelley so I don't need an excluder.

>You know Mike was being tongue in cheek

Yes the above reference to foundation was followed by a wink for a reason.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>I would also use 7/11 foundation from Kelley so I don't need an excluder

I attempted to replace queen excluders with 7/11 foundation but my queens happily make it into drone brood, one hive in several boxes.

It seems when bees are desperate for drones and there is little drone comb in the brood nest, they will tear any comb down that has no cocoons and rebuild it into drone brood.