Default 4 days in, with questions on expansion and inspection

Wednesday evening I brought home my first hive: single deep 10 frame, well populated with gentle bees and a three month old queen.
    I have left them alone and they are coming in with pollen, and I have seen drones returning in the afternoons.

Questions:

1. Re: First Inspection
    I am anxious to inspect to check the queen, we had a very bumpy road to go up leading to my place. But I thought it best to wait until there would also be a chance of finding eggs, in case I did not see the queen. So, I am thinking that would be Monday?? I meet with my mentor tomorrow and wonder if I should check them this afternoon or early tomorrow (if it clears up--its raining now) so I can report back to him (cant reach him by phone). Or just wait and do nothing until we talk tomorrow.

2. Re: My extra boxes, and expanding.
    I also have a 10 frame empty single deep and a medium, both with new wax foundation.
    My long term plan is to have 5-6 hives here on my 7 acres, and more up the road about three miles.

Originally, my plan was to work this first single hive, and bought the extra deep in the event I can can catch a swarm. I was going to have the bees draw out some comb to make it a more attractive new home for a swarm....I have access to a trap and lure and a place where there have been swarms in past years.

3. Or...forget the swarm idea???
    I could just expand this hive with the medium as a super (with or without the excluder) and use the deep as a second hive if and when this is ready to split.

I would like to make the best use of my extra two boxes and do right by my bees.....I am thinking a few more mediums boxes with foundationless frames would be a good investment for me. We have been doing queen rearing at the beeyard so I think I will be able to keep expanding if all goes well.

Thanks in advance for any input. I know I need more equipment but want to stretch what I have and not get overextended too quickly. I also need to get to the beeyard more and the computer a LOT less because I am overwhelmed with information and lacking an instinct and confidence about what to do....

I appreciate this forum so much, particularly the help for newcomers. thank you so much!!

Default Re: 4 days in, with questions on expansion and inspection

ugh...didnt mean for that to be so long....apologies !!

What I would do if I were you is to concentrate on getting as much of that comb drawn out as I could. I would leave the queen excluder in the shed and when you have two deeps full of bees and brood, draw out your mediums as supers and then remove them and move one deep and half the brood onto another bottom board and let them raise a queen or buy one and requeen the queenless hive. Then do it al again. While you are letting your bees expand and studying, read mdasplitter.com it will tell you how to split for further expansion and help with mite control.

Thank you Vance for your reply!

This is what I was thinking, too---and that this way I can buy enough time to get some medium frames sent here parcel post and have them assembled before I need them, even thought it can take 8 weeks to get them here. I am thinking I want to run the bees in mediums, much easier for me to deal with and fewer things to have shipped.

Trapping a swarm will throw the whole thing out of whack, I think, at least for where I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    What I would do if I were you is to concentrate on getting as much of that comb drawn out as I could. I would leave the queen excluder in the shed and when you have two deeps full of bees and brood, draw out your mediums as supers and then remove them and move one deep and half the brood onto another bottom board and let them raise a queen or buy one and requeen the queenless hive. Then do it al again. While you are letting your bees expand and studying, read mdasplitter.com it will tell you how to split for further expansion and help with mite control.