Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Setup

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JMP 
#1 ·
Trying baggy feeders this year for the first time. Will have this setup: brood box, inner cover, shallow super with baggy, then outer cover. Do I need or should I put an inner cover on top of the shallow super as well to provide a top entrance? This setup will be for new packages of bees. Thanks all!

#6 ·
Jeez! I sure dont' want to go to jail for a beekeeping mistake! Yikes!

Intheswamp I will make some of those this afternoon. Think I will take a shallow super and slice it up on the table saw. Have some that are just glued together so no chance of hitting a nail. Should be easy enough to do setting up fence at appropriate width.

Keeps extra space to a minimum so less space for bees to heat up. That was my original thought on placement of inner cover. However, that is illegal. :)

#7 ·
Nah, I don't think you'll go to jail...just 1000 hours of community service at the leper colony.<grin>

I wouldn't cut up the shallow super...might want to try comb honey or something with it later on and it's already got the rabbets cut into it ready to go. :) A length of 1x4 pine would should make 2 or 3 deep rims...rip the 1x4 down the middle and you have the makings of several rims. Don't worry about the rabbeted joint...just nail and glue butt joints.

Remember on the baggie feeders to put your slices around the center of the baggie area...if you get them over towards the edges they'll leak. I saw a tip where you cut two of the slices parallel to each other a couple of inches apart....if you need to move the baggie while it's got syrup in it you can slide a pencil through the slots and lift the baggie in the center....take care, though, you'll need to work the baggie loose from the frames because it *will* stick to the top of the frames. Also, I've seen warnings about bargain-brand baggies leaking...buyer beware!

The bees really don't heat the space, the important heat is within, and a layer around, the cluster.

Best wishes,
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.