Default Where to buy bees. Nevada

Hi All,

My bees did not make it though the winter. I searched on bee packages and I found too many choices. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I had a full hive in December and by January all the bees were dead and 6 full bars of honey in the hive. I built a new hive and I will be freezing the comb.

Thank you,

nate.

Default Re: Where to buy bees. Nevada

If you have your "big boy pants" handy, just post a "Bee Removal" ad on Craigslist. It's high swarm season now, so your phone will probably ring off the hook with people wanting to give you hives, and PAY YOU to give 'em to you...even better than free!

(why pay for something you can get paid for taking?)

I removed one from a tree that blew over last spring(that is how i got started) and it filled my hive and split, I caught the swarm. So I had one healthy hive(i thought) and one new hive at the beginning of the winter. the young hive had the bees alive in it up until march. The full hive was all gone in Jan.

I thought it would be nice to get one hive going again quickly and then fill the other hive with a local swarm.

I know they most likely did not make it due to a mistake I made, but I talked to a local guy that said he lost more young hives than usual this year.

My "mentor" told me this spring that he lost 5 of his 9 hives over this past winter...and, if I remember right, he'd lost 2-3 during last year's drought too... So, if a guy who's been keeping bees since I was in diapers is suffering those kinds of losses, I wouldn't get too worked up thinking I did something wrong if I lost two

Ok. I think I answered my question. http://lsbees.com/ this guy is local and very helpful. If I can get my bees from him that is what I will do. It looks like he is getting a shipment April 15th.