Hybrid View

Default Howto cut queen cells from drone comb

I have a medium frame full of capped drone cells plus two queen cells. I'd like to freeze the drone cells but cut out the queen cells for use elsewhere. Any tips on how to tie or place the queen cells into a queenless hive? Just cut a section out with a knife and rubberband it onto a frame?

Default Re: Howto cut queen cells from drone comb

Be extremely gentle with them! I try to cut all the way through the comb if the cells are on the face of the comb. DO NOT tie them or rubber band them. With the tip of a finger make a depression in the comb large enough to hold the base of the cell. Place the cell in the depression and push some wax from the comb in around the cell base to hold it. If there's open brood in the receiving hive place the cells in an area of open brood so that it will have nurse bees to care for it.

Micheal

Cut a little extra comb with the queen cell. Than find a corner on one of your frames that is not built out with comb. Work the queen cell into this area and pinch the wax together with your fingers were you left the extra wax. If you don't have any areas with missing comb you can cut out a place for the cell.

Have fun.

John

Check out Don's (fatbeeman) youtube videos he has a great one on harvesting / cutting out queen cells.